From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Barrister[change source]

If I recall correctly, doesn't the British term "barrister" refer only to a specific type of lawyer? Kansan (talk) 23:59, 27 February 2011 (UTC)

A barrister has right of appearance in court. They do the pleading before judge and jury. A Solicitor would handle non-court matters. One must have a solicitor approach the barrister on your behalf. You can't go out and hire one yourself. Bärliner 01:23, 28 February 2011 (UTC)
Well, historically that would be correct. In today's legal profession there are three professions that legally are "lawyers", barristers, solicitors and legal executives. Each has differing roles and differing rights of audience in the various courts. 1) Barristers (who try cases and can appear in all courts in the UK including the Supreme Court). 2) Solicitors (who normally draft wills, do contracts etcetera and "instruct barristers" on behalf of their clients in court cases) Some solicitors obtain a higher courts right of audience upon completion of further training; this does not (I believe) include the right to appear in the Supreme Court. 3) Legal Executives (like US law clerks but probably acting at a higher level. They can appear only in some civil courts at the moment. Solicitors by default can appear before the magistrate's court. fr33kman 02:13, 28 February 2011 (UTC)
Didn't know that. Thanks! Kansan (talk) 18:20, 28 February 2011 (UTC)

Simple words for "licensed" or "practice"[change source]

If you have simple words for "licensed" or "practice," that would be great. I'm adding them to the article - and others - because they are essential to the article. Someone who simply has a law degree is not a lawyer in most places, so the article had been very misleading. --Philosopher Let us reason together. 13:55, 28 July 2012 (UTC)