Properties[change | change source]
Thallium(I) sulfate is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. It is very toxic, though. It dissolves easily in water and is similar to potassium sulfate.
Preparation[change | change source]
Uses[change | change source]
It was used in rat poison, but since it is so similar to other chemicals, it poisoned some people and was outlawed. It was also used for some medicines before it was found that it was too toxic. It stops plants from germinating. It is the main source of thallium in the laboratory and is used to make thallium(I) sulfide.
Toxicity[change | change source]
Thallium sulfate, like all thallium compounds, is very toxic. This is because the size of the thallium ion is very similar to the size of the potassium ion. After it goes into the cells, it cannot be used like potassium is used and so kills the cell. It also gets absorbed through the skin. Eating more than 1/2 gram can kill. It gets deposited in the kidney, liver, brain, and similar places. It has been blamed for the extinction of the Brown Fish Owl.