The Daily Star (Bangladesh)
|Founder(s)||Syed Mohammad Ali|
|Founded||January 14, 1991|
|Headquarters||64–65, Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue, Dhaka-1215|
The Daily Star is a daily English-language newspaper in Bangladesh. It has more readers in the country than any other English language newspaper. Syed Mohammed Ali started the paper on 14 January 1991.
Its motto is "Committed to People's Right to Know." The newspaper is led by Mahfuz Anam. He is a member of Mukti Bahini, He was also a United Nations official. Its main offices are in Dhaka and Chittagong.
The Daily Star is owned by Mediaworld. Latifur Rahman's Transcom Group owns much of it. The Transcom Group also owns Prothom Alo. This is one of the most widely read Bengali newspapers in the world.
Other publications[change | change source]
There is an online version of The Daily Star. Star Showbiz is a weekly entertainment tabloid about local and international movies, music and TV. Forum was a monthly magazine, edited by Shah Husain Imam.
Controversy[change | change source]
In 2016, editor Mahfuz Anam said that The Daily Star printed stories given to the newspaper by military intelligence group DGFI in 2007 and 2008. The stories Sheikh Hasina was corrupt. Hasina later became Prime Minister.  Some members of parliament asked for a trial of Mahfuz Anam and The Daily Star publisher Latifur Rahman.
References[change | change source]
- Newspaper Trends: Bangladesh Archived 2009-03-19 at the Wayback Machine, World Advertising Research Center; Retrieved: 14 September 2007
- Lalwani, Nikita; Winter-Levy, Sam (2016-10-20). "A Daughter of Bangladeshi Revolutionaries Makes Sense of Life After War". The New Yorker. ISSN 0028-792X. Retrieved 2018-02-12.
- culturebase.net. "Mahfuz Anam artist portrait - culturebase.net". Retrieved 28 October 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Transcom Group Archived 2007-09-18 at the Wayback Machine; Retrieved: 14 September 2007
- "The new generation of journalists has changed the face of the media". Probe News Magazine. 14 September 2006. Archived from the original on 23 December 2007. Retrieved 14 September 2007.
- "Daily Star Editor Mahfuz Anam admits to publishing DGFI-fed baseless stories". Retrieved 28 October 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Lawmakers demand trial of Daily Star editor Mahfuz, publisher Latifur" (1). The Daily Observer. The Daily Observer. 7 February 2016. Retrieved 8 February 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)