The Golden Girls
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|The Golden Girls|
|Created by||Susan Harris|
|Theme music composer||Andrew Gold|
|Opening theme||"Thank You for Being a Friend" by Cynthia Fee|
|Ending theme||"Thank You for Being a Friend Instrumental|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||7|
|No. of episodes||173 (original run)
180 (syndication) (List of episodes)
|Executive producer(s)||Susan Harris
Paul Junger Witt
|Production company(s)||Witt/Thomas/Harris Productions|
Disney-ABC Domestic Television
|Original run||September 13, 1985– May 9, 1992|
|Followed by||The Golden Palace|
|Related shows||Empty Nest
Characters[change | change source]
The women were:
- Dorothy Zbornak (Bea Arthur) - She was born in Brooklyn, New York City. Her parents are Salvatore and Sophia, two Sicilian immigrants. She has a sister Gloria and a brother Phil. She was married with Stan Zbornak for 38 year long. With him she has two children: Kate and Michael Zbornak. After their divorce, she moved to the shared apartment with Blanche and Rose. Her mother Sophia criticized her love-life again and again. In the last episode was Dorothy and Blanche's uncle Lucas a pair. After her marriage she moved out of the house.
- Rose Nyland (Betty White) - she grew up with nine children on a farm in Sankt Olaf, Minnesota. She is the outcome of an affair. Her father was a monk and his mother died during Roses childbirth. Nevertheless she had a happy childhood with their adoptive parents and her two stepsisters Lily and Holly. She was married with a insurance agent called Charlie Nylund, until his died in 1970. They have five children: three daughters called Kirsten, Bridget and Gunilla and two sons called Adam and Charlie jr. Also, she has grandchildren: Charlie and Charlene. She worked as a staff in a counseling center. Sometimes, she works as a volunteers in a hospital. She is a honest Person and loves animals. She tells always about her life in Sankt Olaf.
- Blanche Devereaux (Rue McClanahan) - she grew up in Atlanta, Georgia. She has four brothers and sisters. Her both sisters called Charmaine and Virginia. She doesn't like them, but she is nevertheless friendly to them. She has two brothers. Clayton is gay and Tad is a mentally handicapped person. Her father called Big Daddy. Until his death, she was the favourite daughter of him. She is the owner of this shared apartment. At that time, she lived with her husband George in this house. With him she had five children: two daughters called Rebecca and Janet and three sons called Biff, Doug and Skippy and she has four grandchildren: David, Sarah, Melissa and Aurora. She is obsessed with men and had many affairs with them. Blanche feels to old and she is not satisfied with her age.
- Sophia Petrillo (Estelle Getty)- is the mother of Dorothy and lived in a nursing home called The Shady Pines. She moved to the three Ladys, after it is burned down. She tells about her nursing home very bad things and she doesn't tell good things. 1906, she was born in sicily and wandered to the USA. She was to married with Salvatore. She has a sister Angela and a brother Angelo. If she tells about her life in Sicily, she begins with this sentence: "Just imagine, Sicily nineteen hundred...!"
Recurring characters[change | change source]
- Stanley "Stan" Zbornak (Herb Edelman)- was the classmate of Dorothy. After the High School, she was pregnant of him. Both were 17 years old and Dorothy had to marry him. The marriage was a disaster. He told his children many lies. For example, Christmas will delayed by two days. They were married for 38 years. Nevertheless, he loves them. Also, he is a seller of joke articles and wears a toupé.
- Miles Webber (Harold Gould)- is in a relationship with Rose.
- Salvatore "Sal" Petrillo (Sid Melton)- was the husband of Sophia. You don't see him in an episode, because he died before the action time.