The Muppets are puppet characters created by Jim Henson. The characters include Kermit the Frog and the cast of Sesame Street. Jim Henson started work with the Muppets in the 1950's and continued until his death in 1990. The Muppets are known for an absurd burlesque and humorous style of variety-sketch comedy.
The Muppets are now owned by The Walt Disney Company. The term "muppet" is trademarked and owned by The Walt Disney Company. Puppets used in Sesame Street are still called muppets at times, and have special permission to use that name from The Walt Disney Company.
Jim Henson said the name "muppet" came from combining the words "puppet" and "marionette," but he also said that he just liked the way the word sounded. There is no defined difference between a muppet and a puppet other than the link to Jim Henson. Many of Jim Henson's muppets have large eyes, round noses, and large mouths that go from one end of the face to the other (almost ear to ear). Muppets are often made out of foam with felt on top. Puppeteers usually control the muppet with one hand in the head and the other hand controls the muppets arms. Sometimes the arms have a stick that is used to move the hand and arm - this is called the "arm rod." Puppeteers hold the arm rod at one end and the other end touches the muppet hand. Some muppets have hands that are gloves. Puppeteers put their hands in the gloves of these muppets so the muppet can move its fingers. For this reason, most muppets appear to favor their left hands.
Muppeteers and their characters[change | change source]
Main Muppeteers[change | change source]
Original[change | change source]
- Jim Henson - Kermit the Frog, Rowlf the Dog, Ernie, The Swedish Chef, Dr. Teeth, Link Hogthrob, Guy Smiley, Waldorf, Various
- Frank Oz - Bert, Cookie Monster, Grover, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal, Sam the Eagle, Marvin Suggs, Various
- Jerry Nelson - Floyd Pepper, Robin the Frog, Gobo, Emmet Otter, Count von Count, Crazy Harry, Mr. Johnson, Pa Gorg, Various
- Richard Hunt - Scooter, Janice, Beaker, Statler, Don Music, Sweetums, Gladys the Cow, Junior Gorg, Various
- Dave Goelz - Gonzo the Great, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Zoot, Beauregard, Boober, Traveling Matt, Rugby Tiger, Digit, Various
- Steve Whitmire - Rizzo the Rat, Bean Bunny, Wembley Fraggle, Sprocket, Waldo C. Graphic, Various
Current[change | change source]
- Steve Whitmire - Kermit the Frog, Beaker, Rizzo the Rat, Ernie, Statler, Various
- Eric Jacobson - Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal, Sam the Eagle, Marvin Suggs, Bert, Grover, Guy Smiley, Various
- Dave Goelz - Gonzo the Great, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Zoot, Waldorf, Various
- Bill Barretta - Pepe the King Prawn, Bobo the Bear, Johnny Fiama, Various
- David Rudman - Baby Bear, Cookie Monster, Scooter, Janice, Various
- Matt Vogel - Floyd Pepper, 80's Robot, Constantine, Various
- Peter Linz - Walter