|Studio album by|
|Released||July 18, 2017|
September 5, 2017 (repackaged edition)
|Studio||S.M. Studios, Seoul, South Korea|
41:53 (repackaged edition)
|Producer||Lee Soo-man (exec.)|
|Singles from The War|
|Singles from The War: The Power of Music|
The War is the fourth studio album of the South Korean boy band EXO. It was digitally published on July 18, 2017 and physically on July 19 by S.M. Entertainment under the distribution of Genie Music. The album includes a total of nine songs including the lead single "Ko Ko Bop". The War got the highest number of pre-orders at that time for a K-pop album, with more than 800,000 physical copies. Twenty-four days later to be released, The War became EXO's fourth consecutive studio album to have sold more than a million copies. On September 5, 2017, the group released the reissue of the album under the name of The War: The Power of Music.
Background and release[change | change source]
At a press conference on May 28, 2017 regarding The EXO'rDIUM tour, Baekhyun revealed that the single from the next album was already finished, adding that both the group and the agency were satisfied with the result. During an interview for Billboard the same month, the leader, Suho, revealed that EXO would most likely make his return to the stage "in hot days"; in the next month, an agent of S.M. Entertainment confirmed that the comeback would be in summer. On June 23, S.M. announced that Lay would not participate in this comeback, due to his activities in China, which overlapped with those of the group.
The first teaser video for "Ko Ko Bop" was revealed during a concert of the SM Town Live World Tour VI. As of June 9, S.M. began to publish individual teasers of the members, where they were revealed fragments of the other songs. The album's title was revealed as The War on July 10 by the group's agency and was digitally released on July 18 and physically on the 19th. Pre-sales for the album began on July 10, and purchases caused Synnara's downfall and temporary blocking of site servers. The next day, Synnara revealed that there will be three versions —regular A, regular B, and private— for both the Korean version and Mandarin. The private version has exclusive content like photos taken by the members themselves, comments about the songs, and notes from the producers and the group about the album.
During a broadcast on July 20, Baekhyun confirmed that the group would release a reissue of the album. He added: "Ko Ko Bop is exactly what it is, an eve or a pre-sequel. The title of our new album is The War. You can see us taking advantage of the night before we start the fight, to go to the real war. At that moment, that is the tip of the iceberg. When we hear about the concept, we think: that is the S.M. for you. His planning exploded my mind."
On August 21, 2017, S.M. Entertainment, confirmed that EXO planned to make their comeback with a repackage album for The War in early September. S.M. Entertainment began to release teasers of the reissue of the album with the message "The Power of Music". The first teaser titled #Total_Eclipse was released on August 21, 2017 at the same time as the solar eclipse of August 21, 2017. The second teaser was released on August 28 entitled "Parallel_Universe."
The third teaser titled "Power # RF_05" was released on August 30. On the same day, the title of the reissue was revealed as The War: The Power of Music and will be released on September 5, 2017 with twelve songs including the single "Power". On August 31, it was revealed that the album includes three new songs: "Power", "Sweet Lies" and "Boomerang", along with the nine original songs of The War.
Promotion[change | change source]
In February 2017, Suho said members were planning to actively promote themselves in 2017, kicking off during the Korean summer of that year. To publicize the group's comeback to social networks, official pages were created on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Weibo, where they released the teaser previously released during the SM Town Live World Tour VI tour and the other individual teasers. On Twitter, the group used Instant Unlock, which allows users to watch videos and special content to spread it. To gain access to the video, it was necessary for site users to choose a hashtag ─#EXO, #KoKoBop, or #TheWAREXO─ and tweet about it, making it a trend worldwide.
From July 14 to 16, fans will be able to listen to the single before their release in COEX Artium with 3D sound in virtual reality. EXO performed a special broadcast titled Ko Ko Bop on One Night Summer through the V application of Naver two hours after the release of the album, where they talked about various issues related to their release and production. His promotions in musical programs began in M! Countdown performing the single from the album and "전야 (The Eve)". The promotions ended on August 13, winning eleven trophies in music programs. EXO also performed their new songs in Hong Kong during the SM Town Live World Tour VI on August 5 and "Ko Ko Bop" and "The Eve" on Music Bank World Tour in Jakarta on September 2. On September 6, EXO organized a mini fan meeting where they performed "Power" for the first time. The promotions of the reissue began in musical programs since September 7 in M! Countdown.
Single[change | change source]
"Ko Ko Bop"[change | change source]
"Ko Ko Bop" ranked first in the Melon Realtime Chart, making EXO the first K-pop group to be number one on the list after the changes to the list were implemented on February 27, 2017. The other songs of the album entered in the top 9. It was reported that several servers crashing, due to the large number of fans entering the web pages. "Ko Ko Bop" also surpassed the 155 lists of iTunes around the world, including K-pop and pop lists, as well as lists of all genres. "Ko Ko Bop" topped Gaon's digital chart for four consecutive weeks, making EXO the first artist to achieve it in 2017. EXO also became the third group of idols to position themselves in Gaon's first place for four weeks, as well as the only group of male idols. The song also ranked first in Gaon Monthly Chart in August, making EXO the first group in 2017 and the fifth group of boys since 2012 to position itself in first place.
"Power"[change | change source]
On September 14, the song of EXO, "Power", got the highest score of all time in M! Countdown with 11 000 points, making EXO the first artist to achieve a perfect score after system changes were implemented in June 2015. The victory also marks its 100th win in music programs.
Track listing[change | change source]
Accolades[change | change source]
Music program awards[change | change source]
|"Ko Ko Bop"||Show Champion (MBC)||July 26, 2017|
|August 2, 2017|
|M Countdown (Mnet)||July 27, 2017|
|August 3, 2017|
|August 10, 2017|
|Music Bank (KBS)||July 28, 2017|
|August 4, 2017|
|Inkigayo (SBS)||July 30, 2017|
|August 6, 2017|
|Show! Music Core (MBC)||August 5, 2017|
|August 12, 2017|
|"Power"||Show Champion (MBC)||September 13, 2017|
|M Countdown (Mnet)||September 14, 2017|
|Music Bank (KBS)||September 15, 2017|
|September 22, 2017|
|Inkigayo (SBS)||September 17, 2017|
Release history[change | change source]
|The War||July 18, 2017||South Korea||Digital download|
|July 19, 2017||South Korea||CD|
|July 21, 2017||Japan||S.M. Entertainment|
|The War: The Power of Music||September 5, 2017||South Korea||Digital download, CD|
References[change | change source]
- Park, Soo In (July 17, 2017). "엑소 '더 워', 선주문량 80만장 돌파‥앨범 사상 최다 수치". 헤럴드 팝POP (in Korean). Retrieved July 17, 2017.
- "넘사벽 원톱"..엑소, 쿼드러플 밀리언셀러 달성..신기록" (in Korean). Retrieved August 15, 2017.
- "EXO Goes All Out Teasing Fans With Upcoming 'Power' Release". Retrieved September 1, 2017.
- Jie, Ye-eun (May 28, 2017). "EXO to drop new album in summer". The Kpop Herald. Retrieved July 6, 2017.
- Yoon, Min Sik (June 6, 2017). "EXO to drop new album in summer". The Korea Herald. Retrieved July 9, 2017.
- Benjamin, Jeff (June 25, 2017). "EXO Reflect on Latest U.S. Tour, Share Hint About Upcoming Album: Video Interview". Billboard. Retrieved July 9, 2017.
- "[단독] 엑소, 7월 새 앨범…1년 만에 컴백" (in Korean). Retrieved July 9, 2017.
- "[단독] 엑소, 레이 제외한 8인조로 7월 컴백". Naver (in Korean). June 23, 2017. Retrieved July 9, 2017.
- "엑소, 레이 없이 8인조 7월 컴백 "레이 中활동 집중"(공식)". 스타뉴스 (in Korean). June 23, 2017. Retrieved June 29, 2017.
- E. Kang (July 10, 2017). "Update: EXO Reveals Exciting Details About Title Track "KoKoBop" + Gorgeous Teaser Photos Of Baekhyun". Soompi. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- "엑소 'THE WAR' 예약판매로 신나라레코드 한때 서버다운…초도한정 포스터가 뭐길래" (in Korean). July 10, 2017. Retrieved July 10, 2017.
- "[Full] EXO CHANYEOL, D.O., BAEKHYUN, SEHUN X Eating Show". V Live (in Korean). July 20, 2017. Retrieved August 31, 2017.
- "EXO confirmed return repackaged album in September". August 21, 2017. Retrieved August 23, 2017.
- SMTOWN (August 21, 2017), The Power of Music #Total_Eclipse, retrieved August 30, 2017
- "[엑's 이슈] 엑소 新세계관은 개기일식?…'Total Eclipse' 의미심장 티저" (in Korean). Retrieved August 30, 2017.
- SMTOWN (August 28, 2017), The Power of Music #Parallel_Universe, retrieved August 30, 2017
- "'코코밥'과 완전 다른 분위기…엑소, 리패키지 'Parallel Universe' 티저공개" (in Korean). Retrieved August 30, 2017.
- "[V Report Plus] EXO hints at repackaged album via teaser video". Retrieved August 30, 2017.
- SMTOWN (August 30, 2017), POWER #RF_05, retrieved August 30, 2017
- ""쿼드러플 '파워'"..엑소, 9월 5일 정규 4집 리패키지 발매" (in Korean). Retrieved August 30, 2017.
- "EXO to release repackaged 'The War' on Tuesday". Retrieved August 30, 2017.
- "EXO's repackaged edition of 'The War' to include three new songs". Retrieved August 31, 2017.
- "Suho says EXO will actively promote this year". Allkpop. February 8, 2017. Retrieved February 16, 2017.
- "Suho reveals why he doesn't do social media + more info on EXO's comeback!". Allkpop. February 13, 2017. Retrieved February 16, 2017.
- J. K (July 10, 2017). "EXO Trends Globally With Amazing Number Of Tweets Ahead Of Much-Anticipated Comeback". Soompi.
- "EXO ask their fans if they're 'Feeling Lucky' for #KOKOBOP #TheWarEXO comeback". Allkpop. July 8, 2017. Retrieved July 9, 2017.
- Park, Gyoung (July 13, 2017). "엑소(EXO), 18일 컴백기념 V앱 생방송 진행… '한여름 밤의 KO KO BOP'". topstarnews (in Korean). Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- Jung, So-young (July 10, 2017). "[단독] '컴백' 엑소, 20일 '엠카'서 첫 무대..본격 신기록 시동". Naver (in Korean). Retrieved July 10, 2017.
- "엑소, '음중' 2주 연속 1위 '11관왕'.. 소시 컴백·블핑 굿바이[종합]" (in Korean). August 12, 2017. Retrieved August 22, 2017.
- "EXO Nyanyikan 5 Lagu Ini di Music Bank in Jakarta". September 2, 2017. Retrieved October 1, 2017.
- "EXO's repackaged edition of 'The War' to include three new songs". August 31, 2017. Retrieved August 31, 2017.
- "[엑's 초점] "역시 기록제조기"…엑소, 음원차트 개편 후 1위 진입 최초 아이돌" (in Korean). Retrieved August 15, 017.
- "멜론 멈추게 한 엑소의 힘... '코코밥' 대박 히트 조짐". 한국스포츠경제 (in Korean). July 18, 2017. Retrieved August 15, 2017.
- "EXO's Ko Ko Bop Tops 155 iTunes Charts Worldwide". July 27, 2017. Retrieved July 27, 2017.
- "[뮤직톡톡] 엑소, 엑소의 벽 넘었다…역대 초동 기록 경신" (in Korean). Retrieved July 22, 2017.
- Gaon Weekly Digital Chart
- "엑소, 국내 음악 방송 통산 100회 1위 기록... 신곡 'Power', '엠카운트다운'도 1위 ::" (in Korean). Retrieved September 22, 2017.