Cruise at San Diego Comic-Con International in July 2013.
|Born||Thomas Cruise Mapother IV
July 3, 1962
Syracuse, New York, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, producer, writer|
Thomas Cruise Mapother IV (/ /; born July 3, 1962), widely known as Tom Cruise, is an American film actor and producer. He has starred in many movies, including War of the Worlds and Jerry Maguire. As of 2012 Cruise is Hollywood's highest-paid actor.
His first movie was Endless Love. His first leading role was in the movie Risky Business. He has been nominated for three Academy Awards and has won three Golden Globe Awards. These were for the same movies: Born on the Fourth of July (1989), Jerry Maguire (1996), Magnolia (1999).
Early life[change | change source]
Cruise was born in Syracuse, New York. He is the son of Mary Lee (nee Pfeiffer), a special education teacher, and Thomas Cruise Mapother III (died 1984), an electrical engineer. Cruise has three sisters, Lee Anne, Marian, and Cass. Cruise's surname originates from his great-grandfather, born Thomas Cruise O'Mara, who was renamed "Thomas Cruise Mapother" (Mapother is a Welsh surname). Cruise is of Irish, German and English ancestry. One of his paternal great-great-great-grandfathers, Patrick Russell Cruise, was born in North County Dublin, in 1799; he married Teresa Johnson in Warrenstown House, County Meath, in 1825. They left Ireland for America that same year and settled in New York.
Personal life[change | change source]
Cruise has an adopted daughter and adopted son with his second wife Nicole Kidman. He has a daughter Suri (born April 2006), by Katie Holmes. He and Holmes married in November 2006 and separated in 2012.
References[change | change source]
- Dorothy Pomerantz (2012-04-18). "Tom Cruise Tops Our List Of Hollywood's Highest-Paid Actors". Forbes. Retrieved 2012-07-23.
- "Newsbeat - Tom Cruise highest paid actor in Hollywood, says Forbes". BBC. 2012-07-04. Retrieved 2012-07-23.
- "About Tom". Time. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "Tom Cruise Biography". Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- Stated on Inside the Actors Studio interview with Cruise, January 11, 2004; can be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xYsFLyTsDU
- "Genealogy.com: Ancestry of Tom Cruise". Genealogy.com website. Genealogy.com. August 8, 2002. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- "North East Wales: Cruise's Welsh roots uncovered". BBC News website. BBC. January 18, 2004. Retrieved March 31, 2010.
- "Tom Cruise's Irish Ancestry". Eneclann. March 28, 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Ancestry of Tom Cruise". Wargs.com. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- Scientology News: Tom Cruise Tops List of Scientology Celebrities at Celebrity Centre International 34th Anniversary
- "Tom Cruise And Katie Holmes Quickie Divorce What Does It Mean". E! Online. 2012-07-09. Retrieved 2012-07-23.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tom Cruise.|
|Wikinews has news related to this article: Tom Cruise|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Tom Cruise|