Kaiho Tuomas Albin Gerdt (28 May 1922 – 1 November 2020) was a Knight of the Mannerheim Cross. Gerdt, serving as a junior runner officer in the infantry regiment 7, was awarded the Mannerheim Cross on 8 September 1942. At that time he held the rank of a Sergeant. After coming home from the war on 13 November 1944, Gerdt worked as a manager in Oy Wilh. Schauman Ab and as an office manager in Oy Kaukas Ab and Kymmene Oy. He was born in Heinävesi, Finland.
Gerdt, serving as the chairman of the Mannerheim Cross Knight Foundation, is the last living Knight of the Mannerheim Cross.
References[change | change source]
- Hurmerinta, Viitanen 2004, p. 73.
- Hurmerinta 2008, p. 62.
- Heikki Nykänen on kuollut - Vain yksi Mannerheim-ristin ritari jäljellä[permanent dead link] Aamulehti 7 December 2011. Accessed on 15 December 2011.
- Viimeinen Mannerheim-ristin ritari Tuomas Gerdt on kuollut (in Finnish)
Other websites[change | change source]
- Hurmerinta, Ilmari; Viitanen, Jukka: Suomen puolesta, Mannerheim-ristin ritarit 1941-1945. Jyväskylä: Gummerus, 2004.
- Hurmerinta, Ilmari (ed.): Mannerheim-ristin ritarit: Ritarimatrikkeli. Mannerheim Cross Knight Foundation, 2008.