|Founded||Malibu, California, United States (1956)|
|Founder||Jan and Frank Day|
Westlake Village, California, United States
|Mauro Schnaidman, Hans ter Pelle, Cecilia Yang, Mari Loli Sanchez Cano|
|Products||Color Cosmetics, Fragrance, Toiletries, Skin Care|
|Revenue||US$ 500,000 Billion|
JAFRA Cosmetics International, Inc. is an American international manufacturer and direct-sales marketer of beauty and skin care products with operations in 18 countries. Since 2004, JAFRA has been a member of the Vorwerk Group, a family enterprise established in 1883 with headquarters in Germany.
Background/History[change | change source]
Name[change | change source]
The company name comes from the co-founders’ first names, Jan and Frank (JA + FRA).
Founders[change | change source]
JAFRA was started by Jan and Frank Day in 1956 in Malibu, California. The Days studied the ancient beauty secrets of the Egyptians and created JAFRA’s signature skin care product: Royal Jelly Milk Balm. The company expanded to include over 700 products within the skin care, fragrance, color cosmetics and toiletries categories.
Business model[change | change source]
Mergers and acquisitions[change | change source]
JAFRA became a subsidiary of Gillette Corporation in 1973. In 1998, JAFRA was acquired by Clayton, Dubilier & Rice Inc. In 2004, Vorwerk & Co. KG, a family enterprise with headquarters in Germany, acquired JAFRA. Vorwerk was the world’s fourth-largest direct selling company in 2013.
Global expansion[change | change source]
In 1978, JAFRA opened markets in Italy, Austria, Netherlands, and Germany. In 1979, JAFRA expanded to Mexico, where they were number one in fragrance sales in 2013. The company also expanded to Asia, with market entries into India in 2010 and Indonesia in 2013.
JAFRA has operations in 18 countries. JAFRA’s markets are in the United States, Mexico, Brazil, Austria, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Russia, Switzerland, India, and Indonesia. JAFRA’s distributors are in the Dominican Republic, Argentina, Colombia, Peru, Czech Republic, Hungary, and Slovenia.
Social responsibility[change | change source]
Beauty Bus Foundation[change | change source]
The Beauty Bus Foundation is JAFRA’s nonprofit partner. The foundation provides beauty and pampering products and grooming services to chronically and terminally ill men, women, and children and their caregivers.
Grant Life Foundation[change | change source]
JAFRA Russia is a sponsor of the Grant Life Foundation, an organization dedicated to supporting children diagnosed with blood cancer and other hematological diseases. Product donations are provided to surgeons, nurses, and other staff as gifts of appreciation and a portion of JAFRA Russia’s sales is also donated to the charity every year.
Source[change | change source]
JAFRA Cosmetics Official Press Kit, August 5, 2014.
References[change | change source]
- "JAFRA Cosmetics", Vorwerk website. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- Glenn, Brittany, "JAFRA: Royal Dynasty", Direct Selling News, January 1, 2011. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- "Company News; Investment Group To Buy Gillette's JAFRA Unit", The New York Times, January 29, 1998. Retrieved September 17, 2014.
- "2013 DSN Global 100 List", Direct Selling News, April 3, 2013. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- "Fragrances in Mexico", Euromonitor International, June 2014. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- "Global Contact Information", JAFRA Cosmetics International website. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- "Mission", Beauty Bus Foundation website. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- "JAFRA Russia - Community Involvement", JAFRA Cosmetics International website. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
[change | change source]
- JAFRA Cosmetics International (corporate website)