I edited on Wikitravel off-and-on for several years. After a few anonymous edits here, I decided to make an account and contribute more actively. I did that for several years, then took an extended break. I teach English at a university in Japan, and found it was quite easy to create a Simple English Wikipedia page if I am already grading/adapting English Wikipedia content for use with students.
Alternate account[change | change source]
I used an alternate account User:ELTted for editing with students and presenting SEWP to language teachers. I never voted or commented from that other account. It was strictly for editing articles that my students or workshop participants were working on.
Useful tools[change | change source]
- Web Vocabulary Profiler / British National Corpus-COCA 1-25K
- Edit Central: Click Style and Diction
- Voyant Tools
Common complexity that is not needed and suggestions[change | change source]
A few simple changes here and there can help. The verb to be is often the simplest way to write something
- Former: use retired, was, or used to be
- It is found in/It lies in/is located in: use It is in.
- ...in the northwestern part of France: use in northwest France
- It has a population of 1,200: use The population is 1,200.
- ...a large number...: use many
- ...situated in...: use in
- ...situated by...: use by
- ...situated near...: use near
- ...the process by which...ː use how