Welcome to Simple English Wikipedia[change source]
Good job on all that disambiguating![change source]
- Hi! Thanks for your message. Surprising where an accidental edit at the "wong" wiki can lead to. Cheers LittleWink (talk) 21:18, 2 January 2013 (UTC)
- In the first place, it is not ambiguous in context. The reason for this is that, in the context of the pages you changed, the subject was either an invertebrate or some aspect of genetics or sexual reproduction. In all those cases either ovum or zygote (a fertilised egg) was meant, and this would normally be understood by the reader. It was probably a mistake for me to link the word in the first place.
- In the second place, if you feel disambiguation is needed, the correct term (in all the examples I have seen) is ovum.
I have rewritten the disambiguation page egg to make it clearer. It was missing cleidoic egg, which is the type of egg produced by vertebrate amniotes, namely reptiles, birds and mammals. You might like to review the links to see how the terms are used.
As the author of so many pages, any mis-disambiguation causes me a lot of grief, because it means I have to check hundreds of changes to make sure the new usage is good. Macdonald-ross (talk) 08:59, 3 January 2013 (UTC)
- Hi Macdonald-ross. For any mistake I made I apologize. But just stay with the facts about content next time you communicate with a user and leave that last line out, please. It touches ownership of an article.
- About the egg disambiguation page: The ambiguity exists between the egg as a 'phase' in animal development and the egg as food. Nothing more. Ovum, Zygote and Cleidoic egg are all 'subtypes' of Egg (biology). Which means the difference between those term should be explained there, and the disambiguation page should not be made more complicated to the reader. The first sentence already of Egg (biology) mentions ovum and zylote now. And linking [[Ovum|egg]] is an Easter egg (en), IMHO. Especially here on Simple Wikipedia these should be avoided. Cheers LittleWink (talk) 15:35, 3 January 2013 (UTC)