An editor has asked for deletion of this user talk page.
|Born||March 20, 1975|
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
|Labels||Kami Kaze Productions (1992–present)|
Donell Barton Jr., (born March 20, 1975) best known by his stage name MC Mack is a Rapper, Record producer, singer, songwriter and entrepreneur from Memphis, Tennessee. He is co-founder of the rap group, The Kaze. He is the cousin of rapper Lil Corb. His lyrics touched themes such as horror, mass murder and torture, along with more common hip-hop themes such as crime and drugs.
1990–1991: Beginnings[change source]
MC Mack began his musical career in the early 1990s with his cousin Lil Corb and his friend Scan Man. They were quite popular in the southern area of Memphis and released self-taped tapes in their local neighborhoods, schools and shops. His first known tape entitled Portrait of the Serial Killa, was released in 1992.
In 1990, MC Mack and Lil Corb met with fellow rapper and music producer Scan Man. These three, along with a few other local rappers formed a group initially called "Killa Klan Kaze", which later came to be known as "The Kaze". The first recording contract for the group was with Hypnotize Minds, under the label they released their first album, "Kamakazie Timez Up" in 1998.
Music style[change source]
Mack is known for his unique style in which the rhythms are ethereal and the rappers are emotional and true. However, Mack has been described as "a rapper with a unique style that is aimed at rap Gangsta" and has his own personal style, therefore, when his song is downloaded, the genre in the files is "Originals", suggesting that his style is his own musical genre. Mack mixed different styles of rap in his songs, made music of dark tones-Horrorcore, as well as rap of futuristic influence; however, claims that all his songs are just a genre.
Throughout the years of his musical career, Mack developed a large fan base, where he helped Underground hip hop to develop new styles and was selected as "one of the best underground artists".
In 2012, MC Mack was nominated for music awards at the Memphis Music Hall of Fame and won the "Best Solo Soloist" award.
Awards and nominations[change source]
|2012||Memphis Music Hall of Fame||Best rappers||Won|
- "The Very Best Memphis Rappers". Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- "Southern Invasion 1998 Memphis rap SMK Gangsta Blac, Gangsta Pat, Indo G, MC Mack & The Kaze". Ebay.com. 2000. Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- Hoffmann, Frank W. (2005). American Popular Music: Rhythm & Blues, Rap, and Hip-hop, Facts On File Inc.
- "Underground King: MC Mack". MemphisFlyer.com. 2012-09-12. Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- "Memphis Music Hall of Fame readies to induct 25 legends". USA Today. February 7, 2014. Retrieved 2018-08-24.
- "Memphis Rap: Parting The Dark & MC Mack Clouds". The Fader.
- Meara, Paul (February 7, 2014). "MC Mack: Come Back To Hell: The Resurgence Of Memphis Horrorcore".
- Meara, Paul (February 7, 2014). "Memphis Music Hall of Fame readies to induct 25 legends". USA Today. Retrieved 2018-08-24.