|Maha Vajiralongkorn Bodindradebayavarangkun
|King Rama X|
|16 August 2015|
|Reign||13 October 2016 – present|
|Predecessor||Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX)|
|Heir presumptive||Dipangkorn Rasmijoti|
|Prime Minister||Prayut Chan-o-cha|
(m. 1977; div. 1991)
(m. 1994; div. 1996)
(m. 2001; div. 2014)
Prince Juthavachara Mahidol
Prince Vacharaesorn Mahidol
Prince Chakriwat Mahidol
Prince Vatchrawee Mahidol
Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana
Prince Dipangkorn Rasmijoti
|Born||28 July 1952
Dusit Palace, Dusit, Bangkok, Thailand
Maha Vajiralongkorn (born 28 July 1952) is the King of Thailand since October 13, 2016. He is the only son of former King Bhumibol Adulyadej and Queen Sirikit. In 1972, the king gave him the title "Somdech Phra Borom Oras Adhiraj Chao Fah Maha Vajiralongkorn Sayam Makutrajakuman" and the title made him the Crown Prince and heir apparent to the throne.
After his father's death on 13 October 2016, succeeded to the throne of Thailand, with a delay, saying he needed "time to prepare before being proclaimed as the new king". Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has confirmed that Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn will become the new King of Thailand. He accepted the throne on December 1, 2016.
Vajiralongkorn is also a marshal in the Thai military.
Personal life[change | change source]
Vajiralongkorn has been married and divorced three times. He has three daughters and five sons. His four eldest sons were born before he married their mother. They are not able to succeed as king, because their titles have been removed.
Titles and styles[change | change source]
- 28 July 1952 – 28 December 1972: His Royal Highness Prince Vajiralongkorn
- 28 December 1972 – 13 October 2016: Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn
- 13 October 2016 - present: King Vajiralongkorn
References[change | change source]
- Harriet Alexander (13 December 2014). "Thailand's future uncertain as princess loses royal status". Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/11292066/Thailands-future-uncertain-as-princess-loses-royal-status.html. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- "Thailand crown prince strips wife's family of royal name". BBC News. 29 November 2014. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30258759. Retrieved 2 December 2014. "It comes after seven of her close relatives were arrested in a purge of officials allegedly involved in corruption."
- "Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn". GlobalSecurity.org. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/thailand/monarchy-vajiralongkorn.htm.
- AFP (2016-10-13). "Thai Prime Minister Prayuth says Crown Prince seeks delay in proclaiming him King". Coconut.co. Bangkok: Coconuts BKK. http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/10/13/thai-prime-minister-prayuth-says-crown-prince-seeks-delay-proclaiming-him-king. Retrieved 2016-10-14.
- "Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej dead at 88". BBC News. 13 October 2016. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37643326. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
|King of Thailand