|Birth name||Laverne Clarence Gagne|
|Born||February 26, 1926|
Robbinsdale, Minnesota, United States
|Died||April 27, 2015 (aged 89)|
Bloomington, Minnesota, United States
|Professional wrestling career|
|Ring name(s)||Verne Gagne|
|Billed height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Trained by||Tony Stecher|
|Debut||May 3, 1949|
Laverne Clarence "Verne" Gagne (February 26, 1926 – April 27, 2015) was an American professional wrestler, football player, wrestling trainer, and wrestling promoter. He was the owner and promoter of the Minneapolis, Minnesota-based American Wrestling Association (AWA). He remained in this position until 1991, when the company folded.
Death of Helmut Gutmann[change | change source]
On January 26, 2009, Gagne got into an altercation with Helmut Gutmann, a 97-year-old resident of the Bloomington, Minnesota facility where they both resided. According to Gutmann's widow, who was not present during the altercation, Gagne picked Gutmann up and hurled him to the floor, then broke his hip by pulling back on his body. Gutmann was admitted to the hospital, and died on February 14 from complications of the injury.
On February 25, 2009, the older man's death was officially ruled a homicide by the Hennepin County medical examiner's office.
Death[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Verne Gagne's Hall of Fame profile". WWE. Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- Walsh, Paul (February 19, 2009). "Famed wrestler Gagne linked to death of man, 97". Minneapolis Star Tribune. Avista Capital Partners. Retrieved February 19, 2009.
- "Breaking News: wrestling legend, Observer first year Hall of Famer Verne Gagne passes away at 89". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. April 27, 2015. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame Profile of Verne Gagne Archived 2009-05-29 at the Wayback Machine
- WWE Hall of Fame Profile of Verne Gagne