Visa Inc. (/ /,; stylized as VISA) is an American multinational financial services corporation. They are headquartered in Foster City, California, United States. It uses electronic funds transfers throughout the world through Visa-branded credit cards, debit cards and prepaid cards.
|Founded||September 18, 1958 (as BankAmericard)|
Fresno, California, United States
|Worldwide (except Russia)|
|Alfred F. Kelly Jr. (CEO)|
|Revenue||US$24.11 billion (2021)|
|US$15.8 billion (2021)|
|US$12.31 billion (2021)|
|Total assets||US$82.9 billion (2021)|
|Total equity||US$37.59 billion (2021)|
Number of employees
Visa is the world's second-largest card payment organization (debit and credit cards combined), after being surpassed by China UnionPay in 2015, based on annual value of card payments transacted and number of issued cards. However, because UnionPay's size is based primarily on the size of its domestic market in China, Visa is still considered the dominant bankcard company in the rest of the world, where it commands a 50% market share of total card payments.
References[change | change source]
- "Visa Inc. at a Glance" (PDF). Visa Inc. Archived from the original (PDF) on May 1, 2015. Retrieved April 25, 2015.
- Visa Archived September 30, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved March 26, 2010.
- Stearns, David L. (2011). Electronic Value Exchange: Origins of the Visa Electronic Payment System. London: Springer. p. 1. ISBN 978-1-84996-138-7. Available through SpringerLink.
- Leuty, Ron (September 13, 2012). "Visa moving headquarters from San Francisco to Foster City". San Francisco Business Times. Retrieved February 27, 2013.
[Visa] said Thursday that it is closing its headquarters in San Francisco and moving about 100 employees back to its Foster City campus, effective Oct. 1. [...] The bulk of the company's employees—3,100 of more than 7,700 worldwide... are in Foster City.
- "U.S. SEC: Visa Inc. Form 10-K". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. 18 November 2021.