|Died||6 July 2000 (aged 88)|
|Resting place||Powązki Military Cemetery, Warsaw|
|Occupation||Composer, pianist, author|
|Known for||The Pianist|
|Spouse(s)||Halina (Grzecznarowski) Szpilman|
(1950–2000; his death)
|Children||Christopher Szpilman, Andrzej Szpilman|
Władysław "Wladek" Szpilman (Polish pronunciation: [vwaˈdɨswaf ˈʂpʲilman]; 5 December 1911 – 6 July 2000) was a Polish pianist and classical composer.
Szpilman is known as the main character of the Roman Polanski movie The Pianist (2002). This movie is based on the book of the same name. It recounts Polanski's survival of the German occupation of Warsaw and the Holocaust.
Szpilman died in Warsaw, Poland on 6 July 2000 at the age of 88.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Władysław Szpilman information and biography
- In Loving Memory Of Władysław Szpilman Archived 2014-11-12 at the Wayback Machine
- Information on Szpilman's works at Boosey & Hawkes
- "Szpilman's Warsaw: The History behind The Pianist" at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Archived 2007-09-25 at the Wayback Machine
- Interview with Dr. Halina Grzecznarowska-Szpilman, widow of Władysław Szpilman, first part
- Interview with Dr. Halina Grzecznarowska Szpilman, widow of Władysław Szpilman, second part Archived 2016-03-09 at the Wayback Machine
- Władysław Szpilman Archived 2013-10-05 at the Wayback Machine at culture.pl
- Information on Wladyslaw Szpilman at Polish Biographical Dictionary by Polish Academy of Sciences, Kraków 2013 Archived 2003-12-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Uri Caine – performance of songs by Władisław Szpilman