Breuning in April 2010, at the age of 113.
September 21, 1896|
Melrose, Minnesota, United States
|Died||April 14, 2011
(aged 114 years, 205 days)
Great Falls, Montana, United States
|Title||World's oldest living man from July 18, 2009, to April 14, 2011 and the third oldest recognized living person from January 31, 2011, to April 14, 2011.|
|Spouse(s)||Agnes C. Breuning (née Twokey)
(m. 1922 – 1957, her death)
Margaret Breuning (née Vanest)
(m. 1958 – January 1975, her death)
Cora Mae (née Morehouse)
Walter Breuning (September 21, 1896 – April 14, 2011) was an American supercentenarian and a retired railroader. He was the last known surviving man who was born in 1896. Breuning is the oldest American-born man ever.
He was the last remaining verified American man born in the 19th century. At the time of his death, Breuning was the third oldest man ever, and one of the 50 oldest people ever. He remains one of only six verified and undisputed men to have reached the age of 114. He was a colorectal cancer survivor.
Breuning was born on September 21, 1896 in Melrose, Minnesota. Breuning was married to Agnes C. Breuning (née Twokey) from 1922 until her death in 1957. Lastly he married Margaret Breuning (née Vanest) from 1958 until her death in 1975.
Breuning died on April 14, 2011 in hospital in Great Falls, Montana from natural causes after suffering pneumonia and an unknown illness. He was 114 years and 205 days old. Breuning is survived by his niece, 3 nephews, and a great niece and nephews.
References[change | change source]
- Tribune Staff (April 15, 2011). "Rest in Peace, Walter Breuning, World's Oldest Living Man". Great Falls Tribune. Retrieved August 28, 2011.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Walter Breuning at Wikimedia Commons
- Walter Breuning, 33° Scottish Rite Freemason, speaks about the oldest fraternity in the world
- Validated Living Supercentenarians
- The Oldest Human Beings
- Great Falls Tribune's Breuning home page, with interactive timeline, photos, video, articles, links
- Walter Breuning interviewed on KRTV and on CBS
- Video of Walter reflecting on being one of the oldest male U.S. citizens
- Great Falls' Walter Breuning, one of world's oldest men, turns 111
- Report on Walter's 112th Birthday
- News Hour with Jim Lehrer interview with Walter Breuning
|Oldest recognized living man
July 18, 2009 – April 14, 2011