Wave power means the use of ocean surface waves and the capture of that energy to do useful work—including electricity generation, desalination, and the pumping of water (into reservoirs). It makes use of the kinetic energy of the waves that are driven by the wind.
Power from ocean surface wave motion might produce much more energy than tides. Tests have shown that it is possible to produce energy from waves, particularly in Scotland in the UK. But the technology is not as well developed as other renewable energy such as wind power or solar power.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Practical Ocean Energy Management Systems Inc Links and discussion
- An Ocean Wave Energy Converter Using Rotors
- Oceanography: waves
- "Waves" by Tim Lovett -- Tables and trivia on waves
- Wave Energy -- World Energy Council
- Corvallis Gazette Times -- Oregon State University wants to host a national wave research center