||This article does not have any sources. (September 2009)|
Location of Waveland, Mississippi
|• Total||6.8 sq mi (17.6 km2)|
|• Land||6.8 sq mi (17.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||16 ft (5 m)|
|• Density||980.2/sq mi (378.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0679394|
Waveland is a city in Hancock County, Mississippi, on the Gulf of Mexico. It is part of the Gulfport-Biloxi, Mississippi Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of the 2000 census, 6,674 people lived there. On August 29, 2005, Waveland was nearly destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.
Other websites[change | change source]
- City of Waveland, Mississippi, Official Web Site of the City of Waveland
- Waveland practically wiped off map by force of Katrina, an August 31, 2005 article about the damage from Hurricane Katrina
- Katrina town fights for survival, BBC report, December 2, 2005
- Turtles in Action, Tulpe Lodge of the Order of the Arrow, Boy Scouts of America, has been to Waveland as part of the relief effort.
- The Giving Circle, Inc., carries out Operation: Waveland, MS, helping to rebuild Waveland.
- alexwrege.com, blog entries and images about a volunteer operation from The University of Toledo.
- Mission to Mississippi, group started in Wayland, Massachusetts to help rebuild Waveland.