This is a message board for talking about tasks on Wikipedia that only administrators can do. Please put new messages at the bottom of the talk page or to start a new discussion.
Please note that the messages on this page are archived periodically. A message may therefore have been archived. Note however, that the archives must not be modified, so if something needs discussing, please start a new discussion on this page.
Are you in the right place?
- This is the Simple English Wikipedia. Click here for the Administrators' Noticeboard on the regular English Wikipedia.
- Use Vandalism in progress to report serious and urgent vandalism from other users to administrators.
- Use Requests for permissions to request administrators to give you tools that can help you do things faster on Wikipedia, such as rollback.
- Use Simple talk to ask general questions about Wikipedia and how to use it.
Inactive Bots[change source]
Hi all, I noticed some bots which are used in the past for interwiki links (before wikidata comes into place) are inactive for quite a long period of time. For those who have active operators, I am less concerned. I am concerned for bots like Makecat-bot (talk · contribs) which their operator Makecat is inactive and have been indef for sockpuppetery at zhwp. Do we allow the bots to continue running. I am posting here instead of Simple Talk is that if a crat deem a deflag is needed, it will be better here. Feel free to move if necessary. Regards,--Cohaf (talk) 16:16, 4 April 2019 (UTC)
- I am not a crat, but I think it would be reasonable to deflag and block bots whose only approved functions are things we don't need any more. --Auntof6 (talk) 17:58, 4 April 2019 (UTC)
- I run a sweep through them once a year and remove them. If they haven't made an edit in a year they are removed unless they have an active owner here. I recently did this so there shouldn't be any, not sure how makecatbot never had theirs removed. Must not show on the list. I will remove now. -DJSasso (talk) 18:19, 4 April 2019 (UTC)
- Thanks Auntof6 for the reply and Djsasso for cleaning up.--Cohaf (talk) 05:46, 5 April 2019 (UTC)
user name[change source]
Protection for User talk:Tegel?[change source]
- Yes, I think it might be a good idea for a semi-protection for at least a couple of month. I have referred to my Meta talk page for serious users. -- Tegel (talk) 15:16, 11 April 2019 (UTC)
- Pro tem I've restricted edits on this page to registered users for a month. A problem is that talk pages are for communication with users, so protection prevents other sensible IPs from messaging there. This one has been attacked by a persistent IP perhaps with a floating IP address. Macdonald-ross (talk) 16:39, 11 April 2019 (UTC)
Mahmoud Reza Khavari and Sam Mizrahi[change source]
There has been coordinated efforts to remove any connection between wanted Iranian Canadian banker Mahmoud Reza Khavari and Sam Mizrahi. In 2016 the globe and mail and Financial post reported that Iranian Canadian banker who fled to Canada has invested in properties owned by Mizrahi developments and there has been legal dispute about financial issues between the two parties. Since this issue is a sensitive political issue and involves issues regarding middle east, there has been coordinated disruptive behavior to remove this connection probably by people associated with Mizrahi developments. The page has been edited to remove the sourced information from the globe and mail by User:Shemtovca multiple times over the past two years, each time removing information that was published by globe and mail, most of the time with a cover up of WP:ATP or WP:NPOV where in fact the goal was and is to remove this information from public eyes. The user El_C now has blocked me for trying to prevent removal of this sensitive information from this page. I don't think users with this kind of behavior should have access to block, and anybody who is neutral to middle east issues would see what is going on here. involved parties: User:Shemtovca User:El_C — Preceding unsigned comment added by Masterofthename (talk • contribs)
- @AlAboud83: I have blocked the IP as a courtesy, but to be honest I can't decipher the messages that user left. Please translate for me. If you want, you can explain by email. If this happens again, please leave at least one or two warnings before reporting the user. Thanks. --Auntof6 (talk) 04:33, 18 April 2019 (UTC)
possible LTA?[change source]
I know I should report this in the VIP page but i believe this user is a sock of Bambifan101, this IP is also blocked in other wikis. Zaxxon0 (talk) 01:54, 20 April 2019 (UTC)2602:306:83A9:3D00:5408:B396:262C:C5D2
Query for a Onestrike block[change source]
Hi. I have a user from the English Vikidia site who says that they've been blocked on ENWP. A check on their user and talk pages reveals that they have also made an account here. I believe that SEWP operate a onestrike policy, so I just wanted to make you aware that the user, User:Thewinrat, is on your site. Best :) DaneGeld (talk) 21:57, 22 April 2019 (UTC)