William George Aston
|William George Aston|
William George Aston, 1911
August 28, 1840|
|Died||November 22, 1911
Beer, Devon, England
Early life[change | change source]
Career[change | change source]
Japan[change | change source]
Korea[change | change source]
In 1884, Aston was the first Western diplomat to live in Korea.
Aston donated his translations of Korean folk tales to the Asiatic Museum in St. Petersberg, Russia and they were published in 2004. This part of Aston's personal collection is now at the Academy of Sciences in St Petersburg.
Selected works[change | change source]
- A Short Grammar of the Japanese Spoken Language (1869)
- A Grammar of the Japanese Written Language (1877)
- A Grammar of the Japanese Spoken Language (1877)
- Early Japanese history (1889)
- Nihongi; Chronicles of Japan from the Earliest Times to A.D. 697 (1896)
- A History of Japanese Literature (1898)
- Littérature japonaise (1902)
- Shinto, the Way of the Gods (1905)
- Shinto, the Ancient Religion of Japan (1907)
References[change | change source]
- Kornicki, P. F. (2004). "Aston, William George (1841–1911)," Dictionary of National Biography (DNB); retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Kornicki, Peter. "Aston Cambridge and Korea," Cambridge University, Department of East Asian Studies, 2008; retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2002). "Aston, William George" in Japan Encyclopedia, p. 58.
- "Aston, William George," New International Encyclopedia, 1905 edition; retrieved 2011-10-25.
- Ruxton, Ian. (2008). Sir Ernest Satow's private letters to W.G. Aston and F.V. Dickins: the Correspondence of a Pioneer Japanologist from 1870 to 1918, p. xiii.
- Ким Чегук. Корейские новеллы. Из корейских рукописей Санкт-Петербургского филиала Института востоковедения РАН / Факсимиле рукописей. Перевод с корейского; Uliana Kobyakova, 'A study on the Corean tales'; retrieved 2011-10-25.
- WorldCat Identities: Aston, W. G. (William George) 1841-1911
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:
William George Aston
- The History of Japanese Literature by W.G. Aston (Yokohama: Kelly and Walsh, 1899)