William Hedges (Australian politician)
12 December 1906 – 31 May 1913
|Preceded by||William Carpenter|
|Succeeded by||Reginald Burchell|
|Constituency||Fremantle (Western Australia)|
|Born||16 July 1856|
|Died||21 November 1935 (aged 79)|
Perth, Western Australia
|Political party||WAP (1906–09) |
|Occupation||Contractor, company director|
William Noah Hedges (16 July 1856 – 21 November 1935) was an Australian politician. Born in Hertfordshire in England, he moved to Australia in 1878. He ran a stone quarry in Queensland, and then moved to South Australia where he was contracted to repair bridges and buildings at Mount Barker. He worked in Adelaide for several years building wharves and railways.
He moved to Western Australia in 1893, where he bought and managed a timber and firewood company. He owned farms in Western Australia and South Australia. In 1906, he was elected to the Australian House of Representatives as the member for Fremantle. He was the only representative of the Western Australian Party. Although John Forrest was the leader of the party, Forrest took no part in the Western Australian Party. Hedges joined the newly formed Commonwealth Liberal Party in 1909. He held the seat until he was defeated in 1913. He had was also unsuccessful in elections in 1918, 1919 and 1922.
He wrote a several small books, "A practical scheme for land settlement in Western Australia" (1922), "Proposals for agricultural railways in Western Australia" (1924) and "Wheat growing in Western Australia" (1930).
In 1929, he became President of the Western Australian Employers Federation. He remained in this position until his death in 1935.
References[change | change source]
- "Family Notices". Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954). Adelaide, SA: National Library of Australia. 28 November 1935. p. 25. Retrieved 27 May 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "William Hedges - Member for Fremantle 1906-1913". pandora.nla.gov.au. 2007. Retrieved 28 May 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Hedges, W. N. (William Noah) (1922), A practical scheme for land settlement in Western Australia, W.N. Hedges?], retrieved 28 May 2013 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Hedges, W. N. (William Noah) (1924), Proposals for agricultural railways in Western Australia : utilising natural grades in favour of the load, s.n, retrieved 28 May 2013 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Hedges, W. N. (William Noah) (1930), Wheat growing in Western Australia : types of season : secondary source soil moisture confirmed by research work in France, W.N. Hedges, retrieved 28 May 2013 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Carr, Adam (2008). "Australian Election Archive". Psephos, Adam Carr's Election Archive. Retrieved 2008-07-28. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
|Parliament of Australia|
| Member for Fremantle
1906 – 1913