Yonge Street (pronounced "young") is a main street in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and its northern suburbs. It was once listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the longest street in the world and is listed as a national historic site. It was the site of Canada's first subway line.
Yonge Street is the home of or close to many places of interest in Toronto, including street and theatre acts, the Eaton Centre, the Hockey Hall of Fame and–at the very start of the road–'One Yonge Street', the offices of the Toronto Star newspaper. The Yonge Line of the Toronto subway under or along it from south of King Street to Finch Avenue. The Viva Blue BRT line goes along Yonge from Finch to Newmarket Bus Terminal.
Cultural significance[change | change source]
Yonge Street is thought to be Toronto's main street, because of it splits the city into east and west, and the has the Yonge subway line running under it. It is also the main place people come to celebrate events.
Parts of the street are often closed for events, such as an yearly street party. Toronto's annual Gay Pride, Orange Order, and Santa Claus parades also use Yonge Street for a large part of their routes. Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot has a song about Yonge Street, titled "On Yonge Street", on his album A Painter Passing Through.
Places of interest[change | change source]
- Hockey Hall of Fame
- Eaton Centre
- Toronto Star Building at One Yonge Street
- Toronto Reference Library
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- The Yonge Street Story (1793-1860), by F. R. Berchem, Natural Heritage Books, Toronto, 1977
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yonge Street, Toronto.|
- Globe and Mail article on Yonge Street
- A page which argues against Yonge Street's claim as the world's longest street
- Portrait of Sir George Yonge
- A Yahoo! page that explains why Yonge Street is the longest street in the world
- Yonge Street 1796 Plaque
- Blog series on the southern section of Yonge Street
- Google Maps of Yonge Street