Yuri Norayrovich Vardanyan (Russian: Юрий Норайрович Варданян; Armenian: Յուրի Վարդանյան, also transliterated Yurik Vardanian, 13 June 1956 – 1 November 2018) was a Soviet-Armenian weightlifter.
Vardanyan won a gold medal at the 1980 Summer Olympics, becoming the world's first weightlifter to win a 400 kilogram total in the 82.5 kg weight category. During his career he set several world records. He was born in Leninakan, Soviet Union (now Gyumri, Armenia).
References[change | change source]
- Great Russian Encyclopedia (2006), Moscow: Bol'shaya Rossiyskaya Enciklopediya Publisher, vol. 2, pp. 601–602.
- "Yuri Vardanyan". Sports-reference.com. Retrieved 17 February 2010.
- "Weightlifting Hall of Fame". International Weightlifting Federation. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- "Renowned weightlifter Yuri Vardanyan a Governor?". Naws.am. 23 July 2009. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "Yuri Vardanyan". Ethics Commission of Republic of Armenia. Archived from the original on 14 January 2013. Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- E' morto Carlo Giuffrè, grande attore di teatro e di cinema (in Italian)