(Redirected from Cumbia music)
Cumbia refers to some musical rhythm and folk dance traditions of Latin America. It is a fast dance rhythm in 2/4 time. Particularly:
- Colombian cumbia: a musical rhythm and traditional folk dance from Colombia. Influenced by African and Spanish rhythms.
- Panamanian cumbia, a Panamanian folk dance and musical genre.
The Columbian cumbia has been influential, and there are variations in other Latin-American countries. However, the music literature makes clear that Cuban music, tango, and jazz, have been even more influential.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ Sublette, Ned 2004. Cuba and its music: from the first drums to the mambo. Chicago Review Press. ISBN 1-55652-516-8
- ↑ Thompson, Robert Farris 2005. Tango: the art history of love. New York: Vintage. ISBN 978-1-4000-9579-7
- ↑ Roberts, John Storm 1999. Latin jazz: the first of the fusions. New York: Shirmer. ISBN 0-02-864681-9