This is the place to ask any questions you have about the Simple English Wikipedia. Any general discussions or anything of community interest is also appropriate here.
You might also find an answer on Wikipedia:Useful, a listing of helpful pages.
If Wikipedia is not working or is very slow, you might find news about this at "Wikipedia's Status".
You may reply to any section below by clicking the "change this page" link, or add a new discussion section to this page. Please sign and date your post (by typing ~~~~). Please add new topics to the bottom of this page.
Please note that old discussions on this page are archived periodically. If you do not find a discussion here, please look in the archives. Note that you should not change the archives, so if something that has been archived needs discussing, please start a new discussion on this page.
Some of the language used on this page can be complicated. This is because it is used by editors to talk to one another, so sometimes we forget. Please leave us a note if you are finding what we are saying too hard to read.
|Are you in the right place?
Anglican Cross[change source]
Seeking the reason behind the circle on the Anglican Cross -there must b a reason the Anglican Cross has a circle on it, any thoughts? TY PJ — This unsigned comment was added by Patriot Jack (talk • changes).
- Hello. I'm not sure if you are in the right place. Simple talk is a place to discuss anything related to the Simple English Wikipedia. If you have any questions feel free to put them here and a community member will gladly help you. eurodyne (talk) 18:26, 7 April 2017 (UTC)
Read-only mode for 20 to 30 minutes on 19 April and 3 May[change source]
- Yes, there are some. You can see the list at Special:ListUsers/bot. --Auntof6 (talk) 18:47, 12 April 2017 (UTC)
Wikidata description editing in the Wikipedia Android app[change source]
Wikidata description editing is a new experiment being rolled out on the Wikipedia app for Android. While this primarily impacts Wikidata, the changes are also addressing a concern about the mobile versions of Wikipedia, so that mobile users will be able to edit directly the descriptions shown under the title of the page and in the search results.
We began by rolling out this feature several weeks ago to a pilot group of Wikipedias (Russian, Hebrew, and Catalan), and have seen very positive results including numerous quality contributions in the form of new and updated descriptions, and a low rate of vandalism.
We are now ready for the next phase of rolling out this feature, which is to enable it in a few days for all Wikipedias except the top ten by usage within the app (i.e. except English, German, Italian, French, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Portuguese, Turkish, and Chinese). We will enable the feature for those languages instead at some point in the future, as we closely monitor user engagement with our expanded set of pilot communities. As always, if have any concerns, please reach out to us on wiki at the talk page for this project or by email at email@example.com. Thanks!
-DBrant (WMF) 08:41, 14 April 2017 (UTC)
Hazard-Bot and Sandbox[change source]
- @Hazard-SJ:: any clue what happened? Only (talk) 00:20, 15 April 2017 (UTC)
- This was being done because someone blanked the template it uses. I've reverted that edit. 01:31, 15 April 2017 (UTC)
Because of the one-strike policy, I am blocking Rowde indefinitely. Rowde is not here to contribute productively to this project. He is abusing many IP addresses to create articles with massive tables that are outside the scope and need of the project. I am also blocking 220.127.116.11/19 as a range to coincide with the English Wikipedia block of the same range. This is the range that he is operating his IPs from. Only (talk) 13:31, 19 April 2017 (UTC)
New Page previews feature[change source]
RfD's that seem to be closing on the need for broader discussions[change source]
We have recently had RfD's on various subcategories of Category:Terrorists that were administratively closed as keep and discuss broadly. We currently have RfD's on various subcategories of Category:Dutch politicians that look like they're going down that road, too. Where do we want to discuss these more broadly? Here? A subpage of here? Wikipedia talk:Requests for deletion or a subpage of that? — This unsigned comment was added by StevenJ81 (talk • changes) at 17:36, 20 April 2017.
- The best place would be on the talk page of the highest-level relevant category. For the terrorist categories, that could be Category:Terrorists by nationality, or even Category:Terrorists if you want to include the ones that aren't categorized by nationality. For the politicians, depending on where you want to draw the line, it could be Category:Dutch people by province. Whichever is done, the discussion should be well publicized on this page. --Auntof6 (talk) 19:38, 20 April 2017 (UTC)