Welcome to Simple! I hope you are happy editing here and being a Wikipedian. Some helpful pages to start you off are Wikipedia:Useful, Help:Contents and Wikipedia:Policy.
If you want to meet and talk with other members, you can visit our version of the "village pump" at Wikipedia:Simple talk. Just remember that you should sign your messages on Talk pages by typing "~~~~" (four tildes) at the end of your words.
We have a special page that describes how to write Simple English articles. If you want some ideas of which pages to work on, read Wikipedia:Requested articles. -- Netoholic @ 02:48, 12 January 2006 (UTC)
Your bot just made a ton of false positives - way too many for me to revert. May need to do an emergency shutdown temporarily. —Glendales 14:07, 29 December 2017 (UTC)
- I am working on the problem, and aware of it. Thsnks for noticing--Eptalon (talk) 14:09, 29 December 2017 (UTC)
- Also, why is that bot flagless and therefore flooding RC? —Glendales 14:11, 29 December 2017 (UTC)
I personally wouldn't flag it until you get the kinks worked out. That way we all can see the edits and possibly mistakes. -DJSasso (talk) 14:15, 31 December 2017 (UTC)
- I have unflagged the bot (no bot flag yet); When the bot is in a state that it has run a few times, and no false positives have been found, I'll put the flagging issue up for discussoon at some board; probably Admin noticeboard, or Simple talk. --Eptalon (talk) 10:55, 1 January 2018 (UTC)
I'm not sure why, but two responses to this RfD are not showing on the RfD page. Macdonald-ross (talk) 17:53, 1 January 2018 (UTC)
- I have no idea why they don't show up on RfD, they do if you look at the individual RfD page. Tried clearing your browser's cache? --Eptalon (talk) 17:56, 1 January 2018 (UTC)
You might want to revoke talk page access on that IP due to this. StraussInTheHouse (talk) 13:04, 14 January 2018 (UTC)
- We might consider it, if things don't improve; as per default, I don't see a reason to revoke it. I might revdel the few revisions though. --Eptalon (talk) 13:08, 14 January 2018 (UTC)
- Whatever you think necessary, I just thought I'd draw it to your attention since other personal attacks seem to have been revdel'd and you're the blocking admin. StraussInTheHouse (talk) 13:09, 14 January 2018 (UTC)
Can you explain the revert? I was just doing some general housekeeping/citation cleanup. Nunabas (talk) 23:09, 5 February 2018 (UTC)
- I am sorry, was inadvertedly logged in on my mobile, and hit the wrong button. Sorry.--Eptalon (talk) 20:11, 6 February 2018 (UTC)
Actually, there are very few fossil vertebrates with all the bones present in one specimen. That especially applies to hominins! Skull, teeth and femur are the top survivors amongst hominin fossils. Fortunately, they can tell one quite a lot. Macdonald-ross (talk) 15:32, 19 March 2018 (UTC)
AfD discussion page instructions[change source]
Hi Eptalon. I'm contacting you because you seem to be pretty active on Wikipedia:Requests for deletion and I've noticed what seems to be an error in the nomination instructions on that page. Under Discussed deletion, it says
- It is helpful to include links to the various policy pages about Wikipedia (that begin with Wikipedia:). Here are some examples of this: "This article is [[Wikipedia:COMPLEX|easy to understand]]" or "Not a [[Wikipedia:notable|]] topic''.
I'm guessing that the second link (" [[Wikipedia:notable|]] ") should be a piped link, with (probably) the word "notable" or something similar after the vertical bar. It looks like it's been there since this edit way back in 2007. I'm hesitant about being bold on an instruction page, so I thought I'd get your opinion on it. Regards, ~dom Kaos~ (talk) 16:43, 22 March 2018 (UTC)
- (talk page stalker) @Dom Kaos: Actually, that link works the way it's shown. Try coding it on a page and see what it does. --Auntof6 (talk) 17:36, 22 March 2018 (UTC)
- Hi @Auntof6: Although it works as a link, I'm nevertheless fairly certain that it's a typo: I've been editing en.wikipedia for nearly ten years and I've never seen a wikilink which ends with a vertical bar. The more I look at it, the more I suspect that it should be " [[Wikipedia:notability|notable]] ". ~dom Kaos~ (talk) 18:27, 24 March 2018 (UTC)
- @Dom Kaos:It's not a typo. It's one of the things that the pipe trick does. It works because Wikipedia:notable redirects to Wikipedia:notability. Look at Help:Pipe trick for similar examples. However, if it really bothers you that much, then go ahead and change it --Auntof6 (talk) 18:59, 24 March 2018 (UTC)
Hello! The Wikimedia Foundation is asking for your feedback in a survey. We want to know how well we are supporting your work on and off wiki, and how we can change or improve things in the future. The opinions you share will directly affect the current and future work of the Wikimedia Foundation. You have been randomly selected to take this survey as we would like to hear from your Wikimedia community. The survey is available in various languages and will take between 20 and 40 minutes.
Take the survey now!
You can find more information about this survey on the project page and see how your feedback helps the Wikimedia Foundation support editors like you. This survey is hosted by a third-party service and governed by this privacy statement (in English). Please visit our frequently asked questions page to find more information about this survey. If you need additional help, or if you wish to opt-out of future communications about this survey, send an email through the EmailUser feature to WMF Surveys to remove you from the list.
, 18:40, 29 March 2018 (UTC)
This page is not right: the word does not refer directly to sexual intercourse. It is a general term for the accomplishment of a particular line of effort or work. The explanation given is just one example of the concept in use. Macdonald-ross (talk) 10:08, 4 April 2018 (UTC)
- Thanks for teling me. I have moved the page to consummation of marriage, with a redirect. This leaves us to describe the more general term at consummation, if we like. --Eptalon (talk) 10:21, 4 April 2018 (UTC)
Hi Eptalon. Can you possibly take another look at this user please? (sorry I can't spell his name correctly, I don't have one of the letters in it) He's making a legal threat on his talk page to sue Wikipedia for damages if he's not unblocked. I believe the WMF normally globally ban for legal threats against the foundation. Many thanks, DaneGeld (talk) 20:59, 5 April 2018 (UTC)
- DaneGeld is talking about Vandãlism Beetle (talk • contribs • deleted contribs • nuke contribs • logs • filter log • block user • block log). I am actually surprised that you decided not to block this user indefinitely as a vandalism-only account. ««« SOME GADGET GEEK »»» (talk) 21:07, 5 April 2018 (UTC)
- Two edits, one "ordinary" vandalism, the other possibly antisemitic/revisionist. No history of vandalism. If he comes back after the block expires, there's plenty of time... --Eptalon (talk) 21:10, 5 April 2018 (UTC)
Every response for this survey can help the Wikimedia Foundation improve your experience on the Wikimedia projects. So far, we have heard from just 29% of Wikimedia contributors. The survey is available in various languages and will take between 20 and 40 minutes to be completed. Take the survey now.
If you have already taken the survey, we are sorry you've received this reminder. We have design the survey to make it impossible to identify which users have taken the survey, so we have to send reminders to everyone. If you wish to opt-out of the next reminder or any other survey, send an email through EmailUser feature to WMF Surveys. You can also send any questions you have to this user email. Learn more about this survey on the project page. This survey is hosted by a third-party service and governed by this Wikimedia Foundation privacy statement. Thanks!
, 01:39, 13 April 2018 (UTC)
Hi Admin, You may feel that i may be crazy by asking this request in early stage it’s been just 5 days i joined Simple English Wikipedia. But i’m one of the most active user here active more than 6-7 hours everyday. I’ve gained some knowledges of Simple English Wikipedia too. As per Rollback req i’m needed to be autoconfirmed so, i’m already that and i will do my best in future to fight aganist vandalism with full of my heart and respect to Simple English Wikipedia. I’ll be thankful to you if you would grant me this request. Simple english wiki is my home and i’m happy to be here and help the communtiy as i can. MTKASHTALK Contribs 21:46, 14 April 2018 (UTC)
- (talk page stalker) Usually, requests for permissions are processed at Wikipedia:Requests_for_permissions#Current_requests_for_rollback, rather than an administrator's talk page. It's a more open setting, so that other administrators can comment on a request, rather than here where they might not even notice the request was made. Thanks, Vermont (talk) 21:52, 14 April 2018 (UTC)
Regarding blocking of IP addresses[change source]
After seeing the block log of 188.8.131.52, I wondered why you blocked it as a vandalism only account. Is that a misclick, or can IP's be blocked with that reason in cases of repeated vandalism? Thanks, Vermont (talk) 22:07, 14 April 2018 (UTC)
- Yesterday, I quick-deleted about 30 pages; most of them were from this IP. In addition: .0 in IPv4 addresses usually stands for "the network", and is not used for a single computer. Hosts range from .1 to .254; .255 is "broadcast" (or "all hosts"). So this is likely not one user, but several. Anyway, I unblocked the network. If I see vandalism from that range again, I may force them to use a username. --Eptalon (talk) 07:43, 15 April 2018 (UTC)
- @Vermont: and i tagged QD for them they were totaly vandalising the community. When i saw one ip user page there were like 15-20 pages which were quickly deleted previously.
Your feedback matters: Final reminder to take the global Wikimedia survey[change source]
Hello! This is a final reminder that the Wikimedia Foundation survey will close on 23 April, 2018 (07:00 UTC). The survey is available in various languages and will take between 20 and 40 minutes. Take the survey now.
If you already took the survey - thank you! We will not bother you again. We have designed the survey to make it impossible to identify which users have taken the survey, so we have to send reminders to everyone. To opt-out of future surveys, send an email through EmailUser feature to WMF Surveys. You can also send any questions you have to this user email. Learn more about this survey on the project page. This survey is hosted by a third-party service and governed by this Wikimedia Foundation privacy statement.
, 00:48, 20 April 2018 (UTC)
Hello sir! I recently created this BLP . It got deleted before I could contest the QD. I created it because I believe that it passes Notability_(Academics) (per criteria 6) and also there are many sources of the subject . Kindly restore if possible. Thank you! Ma'az (talk) 17:07, 25 April 2018 (UTC)
- Hello Ma'az, and wlecome to our small wiki; as you requested, I have restored the page. Linke the two others you created about academics, seeing why the subject is notable is difficult for me. Simply being a professor at a university does not make you notable. This also means that a week from now, the article will be judged, prossibly by another admin. --Eptalon (talk) 21:35, 25 April 2018 (UTC)
- Yes, nicely handled. Thank you! Happy editing. :) Ma'az (talk) 04:11, 26 April 2018 (UTC)
I find we lack pages on many important German universities. Because Germany was so important to the development of science, I think more is needed on our wiki. Just a thought. Macdonald-ross (talk) 13:54, 4 May 2018 (UTC)
QD decline on Advance Auto Parts Clash[change source]
Hi. Could you explain why you have declined the QD on this article please? I've just tagged A3 on every single article made by the IP that created this one - they're all direct copy/paste from the English Wikipedia and all of them are complex. That is covered by QD policy, so why are they being declined please? DaneGeld (talk) 21:34, 5 May 2018 (UTC)
- I think the user should be given the chance to simplify; feel free to re-nominate/re-tag a day from now, if no simplification attempt is apparent. --Eptalon (talk) 21:39, 5 May 2018 (UTC)
- So you're going to take the QD off all of the articles I tagged? Or just leave them until tomorrow? DaneGeld (talk) 21:44, 5 May 2018 (UTC)
- I'll leave the tagged ones; and I am going to delete the tagged ones if it is still an issue tomorrow. As I see it, this ip might get all contribs nuked, if there is no sign of simplifying. Of course, other admins might think differently. --Eptalon (talk) 21:50, 5 May 2018 (UTC)
Hi again. Further to your QD decline on the article above, and on another nominated by Psl631, I have raised an RFD in which you are mentioned. Your comments would be welcomed. I understand you're waiting, but there appears to be little let up in their creating articles and they are not simplifying anything, so I've nominated everything they've written for RFD. Thanks :) DaneGeld (talk) 00:23, 6 May 2018 (UTC)
(talk page stalker) I have just deleted 27 articles this user created, and will shortly close the RfD. I could agree with giving the user time to simplify articles, or at least to userfy them, but not when there are so many. --Auntof6 (talk) 02:28, 6 May 2018 (UTC)
- That RfD is closed now, so I'll comment here: Using copy/paste to "import" an article from EnWP is legitimate, and people sould be given time to simplify afterwards. This is not easy though; for a recent case see the item on Simple talk about Guantanamo detention camp. The article we have is around 50kb in size; I imported the enwp one into my user space here and cut down the 220kb to about 180kb. The general problem is though, that simplifying is a lot of work. In the case of the user: All the pages were about car racing. As with other sporting events, the event or venue is supported by a (usually large) company. If I remember correctly, we had a number of racing events up for deletion, a few weeks (months?) back, as they were seen as unencyclopedic ("phonebook"). --Eptalon (talk) 08:48, 6 May 2018 (UTC)
- Let me please be clear - this was nothing against you, Eptalon. If it'd been one article they'd imported and QD had been declined, I wouldn't have worried. It was the amount they were bringing in that picked my attention. One by one and simplifying as they went, not a problem, but it needs to be done in userspace. 20+ in a couple of hours was saying to me that they weren't going to bother. Too much and too fast. DaneGeld (talk) 19:13, 6 May 2018 (UTC)
Hello, thanks for writing it! I don't live in this city, but only a few kilometres away so I know a lot about it :) About the image thing I guess I have one that is better here. As for the cheese, yes, It's kind of similar to the greece feta, with my regards MohamedTalk 09:50, 13 May 2018 (UTC)
... for the interruption on Maracaibo! I had already worked up a version. I'll stay off it now. Macdonald-ross (talk) 09:40, 14 May 2018 (UTC)
I'm pretty sure he or she is a vandalism only account. Maybe forever would be a solution.
- Vandals tend to come back, and can be re-blocked when they re-offend. --Eptalon (talk) 20:13, 4 June 2018 (UTC)
Dear Eptalon, thank you so much for promoting Reagan as SEW newest VG Article! I had a question, is the article all ready to appear on the main page? I created Wikipedia:Very good articles/Ronald Reagan (and I know VGA appear on main page based on the date they were promoted so Reagan won't appear 'till another month) but just making sure all is in order for when the time comes for Reagan's article to make it's debut on the main page! Thank you! --TDKR Chicago 101 (talk) 21:24, 4 June 2018 (UTC)
- Hello TDKRChicago101, yes that looks good. I don't think the appearing was automatic, but I will cross-check that. The summary looks good. Thanks for all the great work you do on this project. --Eptalon (talk) 21:39, 4 June 2018 (UTC)
Leave it alone for a few minutes. You can add more after I do my edit! Macdonald-ross (talk) 12:18, 6 June 2018 (UTC)
- We had a two line stub on it, so I decided to do a content translation. Page is all yours, I won't touch it until you say you are done. Please put up an inuse template though. --Eptalon (talk) 12:20, 6 June 2018 (UTC)
- I've finished. I had just written the text for the first two paras, and didn't want to lose it. Sorry for butting in! Macdonald-ross (talk) 12:30, 6 June 2018 (UTC)
So good to see you're still active here Eptalon, I often think back on good times I spent here with you Archer7, Creol and many more. Such a pleasure to see you still editing. Gwib -(talk)-
- Yes, has been a long time. Will we see you come back, and edit here, now and then? --Eptalon (talk) 21:14, 6 June 2018 (UTC)
- I was thinking about finally finishing my Wikiproject, I would love to see every page ticked. I have a lot to catch up on though haha. Gwib -(talk)- 21:25, 6 June 2018 (UTC)
Hello Eptalon, according to enwiki Mortadella is quiet popular in Chile too so while trying to fill category:Chilean food I added that. So, while adding pages on those cats do we add based on country of origin or where food is popular or is there something else? I came to realization that the page here don't mention chile at all so that might be the reason but back to earlier question because due to popularity of some foods they are eaten in so many countries so that might cause the addition of many cats.-BRP ever 17:21, 10 June 2018 (UTC)
- As always, the article categories need to be related to the article. The article says Mortadella di Bologna needs to be made in the area around bologna. And then we have a category "Chilean foods"?... - So if you want to add that category, fix the article....--Eptalon (talk) 19:51, 10 June 2018 (UTC)
- I have added the few sentences from the EnWP verson, so the new category "Chilean food" is also possible.--Eptalon (talk) 20:20, 10 June 2018 (UTC)
- Yes, I will make sure that content and cats are related from next time and thanks for adding there.-BRP ever 08:52, 11 June 2018 (UTC)
thanks for deleting the purely disruptive material on my talk page, Eptalon. Angela Maureen (talk) 22:08, 16 June 2018 (UTC)