Wikipedia:Simple talk/Archive 145

From Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Archiving to begin

Hello all!!! I have been given the flag (also known as the green light) to do 50 trial edits of archiving talk pages that use the MiszaBot/Configuration template. My bot is PDLBotArchiver. Your messages are not being thrown away they will be in your archives as they should be based on your settings. You may get a message that my bot edited your talk page or a page you watch and that is fine. If you see any issues please notify me on my talk page not the bots so I can immediately resolve it. Admins - The bot does have an emergency stop button should you need it.

Also to note - there is nothing that needs to be done on your end. It is all handled by the bot. Thanks ~~ Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 04:59, 25 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Let's talk about the Desktop Improvements

Vector 2022 showing language menu with a blue menu trigger and blue menu items 01.jpg

Join an online meeting with the team working on the Desktop Improvements! It will take place on 26 July 2022 at 12:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC on Zoom. Click here to join. Meeting ID: 5304280674. Dial by your location.

Read more. See you! SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 16:19, 25 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Requesting a move

Could someone please move Amin Maher to Amina Maher? She changed her name a few years ago. I can't because I'm not autoconfirmed. Hinnk (talk) 08:41, 26 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@Hinnk  Done*Fehufangą✉ Talk page 08:56, 26 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Vote for Election Compass Statements

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Hi all,

Volunteers in the 2022 Board of Trustees election are invited to vote for statements to use in the Election Compass. You can vote for the statements you would like to see included in the Election Compass on Meta-wiki.

An Election Compass is a tool to help voters select the candidates that best align with their beliefs and views. The community members will propose statements for the candidates to answer using a Lickert scale (agree/neutral/disagree). The candidates’ answers to the statements will be loaded into the Election Compass tool. Voters will use the tool by entering in their answer to the statements (agree/disagree/neutral). The results will show the candidates that best align with the voter’s beliefs and views.

Here is the timeline for the Election Compass:

  • July 8 - 20: Volunteers propose statements for the Election Compass
  • July 21 - 22: Elections Committee reviews statements for clarity and removes off-topic statements
  • July 23 - August 3: Volunteers vote on the statements
  • August 4: Elections Committee selects the top 15 statements
  • August 5 - 12: candidates align themselves with the statements
  • August 16: The Election Compass opens for voters to use to help guide their voting decision

The Elections Committee will select the top 15 statements at the beginning of August


Best,

Movement Strategy and Governance

This message was sent on behalf of the Board Selection Task Force and the Elections Committee

Zuz (WMF) (talk) 17:24, 26 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

ec

Hi, I keep editing conflicting myself... anyone know how to fix the problem? Tsugaru let's talk! :) 20:27, 27 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@つがる Can you try again please? The servers were having issues. If it still does not work, let me know. Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 20:53, 27 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Ah, I see. Issue all fixed now Tsugaru let's talk! :) 22:08, 27 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@つがる Yay! Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 22:09, 27 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
PotsdamLamb The problem is back lol --Tsugaru let's talk! :) 00:11, 28 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@つがる What is the article? Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 00:18, 28 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@PotsdamLamb: User talk:つがる/WikiProject Japan see page history. the first edit i made today had problems. Tsugaru let's talk! :) 00:21, 28 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@つがる Looking through the history you keep reverting yourself. The tags show "revert" or "undo". So it is not an edit conflict :) Is the keyboard tiny that you may be hitting those keys by chance? Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 00:28, 28 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
PotsdamLamb Hmm, So when I edit and i pushed enter it said edit conflict and I just left the page, as for the keyboard I am using an external keyboard, its nice and big :) It's a pink gaming keyboard! Tsugaru let's talk! :) 00:39, 28 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@つがる Maybe an issue with the pink color eeeerrrrrrrr external keyboard? I cannot think of much else unless you wanna clear / by-bass your cache Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 00:45, 28 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
PotsdamLamb I bypassed the cache, thanks for the links, I will see if things work now Tsugaru let's talk! :) 01:21, 28 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@つがる ok let me know. Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 01:56, 28 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
PotsdamLamb It's still happening Tsugaru let's talk! :) 02:47, 28 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Oshwah Sorry for the random ping, but do you have any idea as to why its doing this? Tsugaru let's talk! :) 03:00, 28 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
つがる - Something might just be stuck in your browser cache. Try clearing it. ~Oshwah~(talk) (contribs) 22:23, 2 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

User:つがる/WikiProject Hong Kong

I am no good at figuring out the code, can someone help me expand the yellow frame so the image on the bottom is inside it? Thanks Tsugaru let's talk! :) 21:40, 28 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@つがる  Done As you add participates, remove one of the br with the brackets and you should be fine. Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 21:45, 28 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thank you! --Tsugaru let's talk! :) 21:45, 28 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@つがる You sure though you don't want it some variation of Pink :) Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 21:48, 28 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
PotsdamLamb I was thinking of that lol, but then it might make it hard to see lol --Tsugaru let's talk! :) 21:50, 28 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@つがる Try #FFF1FB Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 22:06, 28 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

US vs. USA

Hi all. I’ve noticed an IP editor is going around and changing anything that says US to USA. Does not seem to matter if it’s in an infobox or in the article. What is the correct way? I’ve always used US in infoboxes especially with coordinates because of the way the maps are laid out for pinpointing. I looked at MoS and couldn’t seem to find it or my eyes are getting worse and I didn’t see it. Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 03:07, 29 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

We may not have an official correct way. I usually spell it out in article text because I think abbreviations can be difficult for English learners. In infoboxes, I usually use US. The country is usually called just "United States," without adding "of America," so that makes sense to me. -- Auntof6 (talk) 03:16, 29 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
By the way, I see one IP editor doing this, but only on two pages. Is that what you meant by "going around and changing"? -- Auntof6 (talk) 03:18, 29 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@Auntof6 No I’ve seen a lot of IP editors doing this the past couple of days. Not sure if it’s the same person jumping IPs or different people doing this. That is why I was asking. Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 03:48, 29 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Request for comment - PDLBotArchiver

Hi fellow Wikipedians ~ I’ve been informed that for any public page (i.e., Simple Talk, etc) that I need to gain community consensus.

Current Issues:

  • User:SassoBot has not ran in a while and requires a manual start. Since the bot owner is busy it is up in the air as to when the next time it will run.

Resolution:

  • I have developed User:PDLBotArchiver that is technically the same. It requires no user configuration changes on the users side.
  • On my side, for this page, I would need to allow my bot to work next to SassoBot so pages start archiving again. All tests are successful and the bot has full approval to run it.
  • This RfC is strictly to archive Simple Talk and no other pages. Thanks and I look forward to the responses.

Responses and questions

  • I think the bot should be used to archive simple talk, and any other WP: pages where it would be useful. 14 days is okay for archival time. Lights and freedom (talk) 04:40, 30 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
    @Lights and freedom: I don't think anyone is suggesting changing the archival time, so whatever bot is doing the archive can use the time that has been in effect all along. -- Auntof6 (talk) 05:01, 30 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
    That's fine. I didn't really see why this community discussion was necessary so I just gave my opinion. Lights and freedom (talk) 05:02, 30 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
    @Lights and freedom Because it is required due to someone placing the restriction of the bot on the page. If it wasn’t restricted I wouldn’t need the consensus. But all I need is a yes I can or a no I cannot. Nothing else in the configuration changes unless an admin or higher changes it. Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 05:08, 30 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
  • LGTM. First run was successful. No alarming signs. Operator873 connect 11:19, 30 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Arbitrary section break

  • Since this matter has been brought up, I am wondering why we even have the {{bots}} template on this page? Support for this template is on a per-implementation basis, so you must either use a framework that is {{bots}} aware, or explicitly account for it in your bot's code. Is there any currently approved bot (other than archive bots) that would ever be editing this page (be it accidental or not), and would need opting out of via the use of the {{bots}} tmeplate? Chenzw  Talk  15:40, 30 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
    @Chenzw I believe the signing bot would also edit this page, but since SassoBot is the only authorized one, User:Cewbot won't sign the comments either. IMHO it should be allowed to do that. I cannot think of any other bots that would run on this page based on our approved ones. There may be global ones, but I am not sure. Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 19:05, 31 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

This discussion is scheduled to be closed at 08:24, 5 August 2022 (UTC). Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 08:24, 29 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Finding Fanon (now with 100% less fish)

Quoting from here, but with tweaks:

It seems that specific cartoons (which are not mainstream) on Simple English Wikipedia are often target to users adding in their own "fanon", such as an early change in the page for Numberjacks containing details that it was created by Jean-Yves Raimbaud (who couldn't have been alive in 2000), that it was a Xilam production with employees like Hugo Gittard and Marc Du Pontavice and that it had American voice actors...
This also happens with small details, like Oggy and the Cockroaches: The Movie being "produced" by Illumination, or large changes like Taffy having a large voice cast, some of whom mentioned people like Tom Kenny and Phil LaMarr (unlike the dub's official cast), or even an entire redundant page, filled with false information. (Happened with Oggy too.)
Like, it's so weird. This is Wikipedia, where it's used to display enough correct information on media. If you wanted to make fanon so much, there's Fandom. As such, I'm seeing if a better approach to fanon would be agreeable, with helpful pages (like essays) and all.

I've been trying to track anything "fanon"-y down for the past 2 hours now, but for now, I give you all this. You're welcome. --WannurSyafiqah74 (talk) 14:03, 29 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@WannurSyafiqah74: I've moved this thread down, because it is customary to have new threads go at the bottom of the discussion page.
Indeed, a lot of our articles about cartoons and children's show could definitely fare better. We have had probably over a dozen deletion discussions about fake TV shows, movies and entertainment companies this year alone. — *Fehufangą✉ Talk page 14:13, 29 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
I have rangeblocked 2001:D08:E2::/48 (talk · contribs · deleted contribs · filter log · WHOIS · RBLs · block user · block log), which has been adding false information since at least May 2022. I reverted some obviously false information, but it would be good if someone more knowledgeable in the area can help review all edits from that IPv6 range, too. I won't be surprised if there are a lot more cases gone unnoticed, from other users/IPs. Chenzw  Talk  15:40, 29 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@User:Chenzw: I found out the SPA linked to some fan-made movie called "Pippi & Equestria Girls". The link goes to FANON WIKI, which just baffles me on how they decided to go here. That, and I'm not sure if the person also pretends Paramount does not exist. --WannurSyafiqah74 (talk) 10:07, 30 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Oh, that's fine. Maybe better protection on specific articles and restricted article creation would do. And if there's enough "fanon", maybe a list of Wikipedia hoaxes like on the original Wikipedia? The "hoax museum" on Wikipedia bring up articles extant for several years, including fake TV shows and such. WannurSyafiqah74 (talk) 05:39, 30 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@WannurSyafiqah74: Take a look at List of programs broadcast by Cartoonito. It's being constantly edited, so I think there's false info there. Lights and freedom (talk) 05:49, 30 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
I just checked. Compared to the original/regular Wikipedia, definitely some suspicious names there. Definitely needs page protection. WannurSyafiqah74 (talk) 06:59, 30 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

University of...

Now we have a University of Heidelberg competing with a Heidelberg University! Macdonald-ross (talk) 18:35, 29 July 2022 (UTC) ... fortunately both are very short! Macdonald-ross (talk) 18:35, 29 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@Macdonald-ross Simply solved EN:Heidelberg University & https://authority.bibsys.no/authority/rest/authorities/html/90350554 - both say "Heidelberg University" we would need to disconnect "University of Heidelberg" from wikidata d:Q151510. Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 18:48, 29 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
It is one of the oldest in Europe, founded 1386. And no, there's just one University in Heildelberg (de:Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg). So the two should be merged... Eptalon (talk) 07:21, 30 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
636 years. I wonder what the oldest university in the world that still functions as a university in the present day. Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 07:38, 30 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
University of Bologna. Macdonald-ross (talk) 10:22, 30 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Wow that is old! Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 06:08, 31 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
There are actually two that are older, one is the university of Cairo, and I think the other is in Morococo, but not sure... Eptalon (talk) 08:56, 1 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

If we left aside universities which promoted religions (all of the above), we'd still have Plato's Academy and Aristotle's Lyceum. You'll remember that Plato was specifically condemned for promoting disbelief in the gods (that was the actual charge against him). That's 4th century B.C. I think we can be sure the ancient Egyptians had some kind of organisation for training their priests, but I'm not familiar with that literature. Macdonald-ross (talk) 20:16, 3 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

"Absolute hot"

This refers to [1].

It has no corresponding page on En wiki as far as I can see. Anyone with a background in physics care to have a look? It has no sources. Macdonald-ross (talk) 09:33, 31 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Worth noting that enwiki had a page for this, but it was deleted in AfD: en:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Absolute_hot. Also, see this discussion on WP Physics' talk page. — *Fehufangą✉ Talk page 09:51, 31 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Need mass message sent

I need a mass message sent about archiving, if an admin would volunteer to do this for me I would appreciate it. Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 16:03, 31 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

What is the message, and who do you want it to be sent to? Best, Vermont 🐿️ (talk) 16:48, 31 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
I have spoken with Vermont on IRC, this is not needed. Thank you. Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 17:01, 31 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

User:152.27.58.183

This IP is having problem, making some edits on some US Interstate Highways articles, where some info are missing or provided wrong info. Please keep a note of it. The IP have been warned before (as per I saw on it's talk page).--Jyoti Roy (talk) 16:14, 1 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Added quick links - 152.27.58.183 Special:Contributions/152.27.58.183 Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 16:18, 1 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
I think I should mention minor info, instead.--Jyoti Roy (talk) 16:20, 1 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Add to MOS

As all know, if we do not have it on our MOS, we tell editors to go read it on enWP. That does our readers no good as it is very complicated english. I have started a discussion "Bring over and simplify currencies" as I would like to bring this to our MOS and simplify it. Please go there to discuss and please do not discuss it here. Thanks - Da LambTalk to me!Please don't eat da 🐑! 18:43, 2 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Simple words

Hi, Over at Waterloo Road (TV series) it currently says in the lead "the show was recommissioned for an eleventh series, with production returning to the Greater Manchester area." - Should the word "recommissioned" be replaced with a simpler word and should the word "Synopsis" further down also be replaced ?,

I would assume yes for both but I don't know what they should be replaced with (if they should), Many thanks, Warm Regards, –Davey2010Talk 22:36, 2 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
You would need to do more than replace word for word. Recast the whole sentence, for example: "There will be another series, produced in the Greater Manchester area again". Macdonald-ross (talk) 08:08, 3 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hi @Macdonald-ross, You sir are amazing thank you so much!, I'll be honest I never thought of replacing the whole sentence - Just thought I needed to replace a word only, I'll replace it now, Many thanks for your help greatly appreciated, Thanks, –Davey2010Talk 12:50, 3 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Move request

Seraikistan to Saraikistan. More common spelling, matches English wikipedia. --Middle river exports (talk) 17:26, 3 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

 Done Lallint (talk) 17:42, 3 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Transwiki request

Hi, Could someone create and transwiki:

Template:Runner-up from en:Template:Runner-up
Template:CFinalist from en:Template:CFinalist
Template:Quit from en:Template:Quit
Template:CRemoved from en:Template:CRemoved

and for update purposes also transwiki:

Template:Won from en:Template:Won
Template:Eliminated from en:Template:Eliminated

please?,

Thanks, Warm Regards, –Davey2010Talk 18:42, 4 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@Davey2010: Doing. Stand by. -- Auntof6 (talk) 19:34, 4 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@Davey2010:  Done --Auntof6 (talk) 19:38, 4 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Hey @Auntof6, Long time no see, Hope you're doing well, Many thanks for doing these as always I greatly appreciate your help :), I plan to create all BBUK series articles over the weekend and apparently the tables use the templates above, Anyway thanks again for your help much appreciated, Thanks, –Davey2010Talk 21:36, 4 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

How can I delete a sandbox page I made please?

I maybe learnt this before but I forgot as I don't come here often. Chidgk1 (talk) 09:46, 4 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@Chidgk1 Hello, if the sandbox is in your userspace, you can add the template {{qd-user}} (speedy deletion for pages in one's own userspace) to the page. — *Fehufangą✉ Talk page 09:48, 4 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Either you put a QD-template on the page, or you simply delete its ocntents (will then be dlelted as "user requested deletion or blanked the page"... Eptalon (talk) 23:16, 6 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

The "Change" command

I have no idea how to use the 'simple' change command when the content is in a table or table-like form. When I try to edit, I get a page about change a template. It's much simpler to use 'Çhange source.' Any ideas? Kdammers (talk) 19:43, 4 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@Kdammers, you may be right, I also face problems when I do "change" command. For table related case, I think source code change is appropriate than in visual change. When I try to add pictures in visual edit at the columns of the table, it makes me difficult to do it. DRC (User:TTP1233) (talk . e-mail . contrib) 07:50, 7 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Renaming of Nanjing Massacre Museum

Can we rename Nanjing Massacre Museum to Memorial Hall of the Victims in Nanjing Massacre by Japanese Invaders, per enwiki? Asking consent. DRC (User:TTP1233) (talk . e-mail . contrib) 17:21, 7 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Be bold.--Gordonrox24 | Talk 17:30, 7 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Ok @Gordonrox24. :-) Best DRC (User:TTP1233) (talk . e-mail . contrib) 01:58, 8 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Well, I think it's quite ridiculous to have such a long title when a simpler one would do just as well. Macdonald-ross (talk) 16:34, 8 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@Macdonald-ross, you are right, how about we keep a short title as Nanjing Massacre Memorial Hall. And keep this long name (or official name) in the content of the article itself. DRC (User:TTP1233) (talk . e-mail . contrib) 10:50, 9 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@Macdonald-ross: Unless it's the actual name of the place. In any case, whichever one we don't use could be a redirect. -- Auntof6 (talk) 16:11, 9 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Agree with you on this @Auntof6. DRC (User:TTP1233) (talk . e-mail . contrib) 16:43, 11 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Journal

I need some help citing an Academic Journal I found, I am too confused even on the visual editor on how to do it. Is there a page that can help me? --Tsugaru let's talk! :) 21:30, 9 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@つがる: Have you looked at the documentation for Template:Cite journal? -- Auntof6 (talk) 21:38, 9 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks for the link. I actually figured it out now! Tsugaru let's talk! :) 02:47, 10 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Merge help essays

I think that Wikipedia:Words to avoid in Simple English and Help:Translate English into Simple English are very similar. It seems silly to have a page that only lists one word to avoid, especially when there are more suggestions available on another page. Should we merge them? Lights and freedom (talk) 15:04, 10 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

  • I see we have the film / movie again, and once again I'll say the same thing: This was just a decision made, not an example of the simplicity concept. I would delete the page, which is pretty useless. Macdonald-ross (talk) 06:19, 11 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Article layout proposal and discussion

I am proposing changes to the guidelines on how an article should be laid out by sections and templates. Please join the discussion by going to Wikipedia_talk:Guide_to_layout#Article_layout_proposal_and_discussion. I look forward to everyone's comments and hopefully we come together as a community to improve simple. Thanks! PDLTalk to me!OMG, What have I done? 01:45, 15 July 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Input not listed?

Why don't I see my input on this page in my "My pages" list? Kdammers (talk) 21:05, 7 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Curious: This (right above) is listed, but my 4 August entry is not. Kdammers (talk) 21:07, 7 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@Kdammers: Where are you seeing a "My pages" list? -- Auntof6 (talk) 22:02, 7 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Sorry, I meant "My changes."16:23, 8 August 2022 (UTC)Kdammers (talk) 16:24, 8 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@Kdammers: I see three changes from you on 4 August, one here and two on Fort Morgan, Colorado. Can you provide some screenshots to help us figure this out? It would help to have the following screenshots:
  • The top of your "My changes" list with "Find changes" expanded so we can see what options you have in effect. (There could be some option that's suppressing your 4 August entry.)
  • The part of the "My changes" display that spans your 4 August entry (that is, it includes changes both before and after the spot where that change should appear)
  • The very bottom of your "My changes" display
Then we can start to check this. -- Auntof6 (talk) 18:13, 8 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
This was a transitory problem, so I can't provide a screen shot. If it happens again, I try to get a screen shot. Kdammers (talk) 19:49, 13 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hercules/Herakles/Heracles

Goodness, what a mess! They all refer to the same demi-god. I want to tidy this up by having one page, since they all refer to the same mythical figure. There's no question that the Greek name came first, and there's no question the Latin name is better known.

En wiki deals with this by having four separate pages and a disambig. I think we should have one page. Your thoughts, please. Macdonald-ross (talk) 06:52, 12 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

  • Heracles is a redirect to Herakles, so we really just have two (unless there's another page you didn't list). Heracles/Herakles is Greek, while Hercules is Roman. En wiki has separate articles on them, because some of the mythology is different. I think it would be simpler to describe the two on separate pages rather than having one article where we have to point out differences. --Auntof6 (talk) 08:57, 12 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Another worth deleting...

World Party Day doesn't exist, and as far as I know, never did. The page is out-of-date and not independently sourced. Let's get rid of it! Macdonald-ross (talk) 08:57, 11 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Sent it to RfD --Ferien (talk) 09:13, 14 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Biographies

I note re Hagiography that we don't seem to have a category "Biography", and the page is left with no category at present. Macdonald-ross (talk) 06:56, 15 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

I just created Category:Biographies (books). If hagiographies are always books, it could go there. -- Auntof6 (talk) 07:16, 15 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

No approval

I do not see an approval request for the bot “Bot873“ to run an archive on simple. Due to this, please stop it from running immediately as it violates the Wikipedia bot policy by not having approval from the community to run on user pages. An admin, let alone a global sysop, should know they are not allowed to do this and they are not above the rules as much as they think they are.

Please ignore this message, an IP has post it with intentions to distract us. Also the bot is approved so no more questions.--DRC (User:TTP1233) (talk . e-mail . contrib) 04:39, 16 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@TTP1233 It was not approved by the community on simple for archiving or else it would have been doing it for years instead of four other bots doing it. So you are wrong! Try again. I’ll make sure to point this out to WMF since this is an abuse of his powers just like reading peoples DMs on IRC and their emails sent through WP. 2600:387:15:1118:0:0:0:9 (talk) 14:20, 16 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Only crats and sysop can approve, not community. The bot is approved recently if I'm not wrong. And it is working well. Sorry without any evidence, we can't consider your message. If you still beleive something is wrong, report it to WP:AN. I'm not interested to make an edit warring. DRC (User:TTP1233) (talk . e-mail . contrib) 14:33, 16 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
See Wikipedia talk:Bots#Bot873 and our policy regarding bots. Derpdart56 (talk) 14:59, 16 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
And #Archiving bot where there is an extremely clear consensus from the community... --Ferien (talk) 15:01, 16 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Delay of the 2022 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election

Hi all,

I am reaching out to you today with an update about the timing of the voting for the Board of Trustees election.

As many of you are already aware, this year we are offering an Election Compass to help voters identify the alignment of candidates on some key topics. Several candidates requested an extension of the character limitation on their responses expanding on their positions, and the Elections Committee felt their reasoning was consistent with the goals of a fair and equitable election process.

To ensure that the longer statements can be translated in time for the election, the Elections Committee and Board Selection Task Force decided to delay the opening of the Board of Trustees election by one week - a time proposed as ideal by staff working to support the election.

Although it is not expected that everyone will want to use the Election Compass to inform their voting decision, the Elections Committee felt it was more appropriate to open the voting period with essential translations for community members across languages to use if they wish to make this important decision.

The voting will open on August 23 at 00:00 UTC and close on September 6 at 23:59 UTC.

Please find this message translated in additional languages here.

Best regards,

On behalf of the Elections Committee

Zuz (WMF) (talk) 09:25, 16 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

What's with these IP editors editing film and television articles, and how do we fix it?

A minor problem the last year or so has been IP editors adding unsourced film and TV information to articles. I don't know if it's one LTA doing it, or a group of people acting in good faith or whatever, it's getting to become a bigger problem. Several list articles of television programming had to be semi-protected due to these IPs insisting that their version of the article was correct. What do we do about this? -- Derpdart56 (talk) 18:09, 14 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

I say we need to get Wikiproject Television up and running again. Take stock of what we have and improve it. Derpdart56 (talk) 15:53, 17 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
I would do it, but I've got Wikiproject Video Games to run, and I don't think running two at once is advisible. Derpdart56 (talk) 15:54, 17 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

WikiProject Dead End

Having read Wikipedia:WikiProject, I have been told to notify you at Simple Talk that I have made a new WikiProject. It is called WikiProject Dead End and aims to add links to dead end articles and possibly other similar things such as adding links to orphaned articles. SlimyGecko7 (talk) 15:33, 15 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

We don't do projects. Macdonald-ross (talk) 16:18, 15 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@Macdonald-ross, @SlimyGecko7: We do unofficial ones in userspace. -- Auntof6 (talk) 16:58, 15 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Yeah there is a option to make unofficial projects. DRC (User:TTP1233) (talk . e-mail . contrib) 17:07, 15 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
This is a cool idea! Relatively quick/easy task, and I'm sure there's a lot of articles that could benefit from this. Just remember that not everything in an article can be linked; I recommend checking this enwiki page that provides some beneficial guidance on it. Best, Vermont 🐿️ (talk) 23:41, 17 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Archiving bot

The following discussion is closed. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made on the appropriate discussion page. No further edits should be made to this discussion.

Clear consensus for RfC 1 & RfC 2 closed as successful & approved -- Enfcer (talk) 00:32, 19 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

We are left still wanting an archive bot. I've offered up Bot873 until Sassobot comes back to work. After a successful trial and first authorized run, I wanted to write here shine a light on a few details.

Check your archiving bot configs

This is to remind everyone that if you are using the {{bots}} template on your talk page, you need to check your configs. Currently Bot873 will only run in the User talk namespace where there is a {{User:MiszaBot/config}} (see User:MiszaBot/config) set AND there is either no {{bots}} template at all or where the {{bots}} template is used like this: {{bots}}, {{bots|allow=all}}, or {{bots|allow=Bot873}}.

The bot will ignore all pages that use {{nobots}} or use the {{bots}} template with |allow=Sassobot, deny=all, or deny=Bot873.

If you are new to archiving your talkpages auto-magically, there are several examples on the User:MiszaBot/config page and practical implementations on various pages.

RfC #1: Use of the bots template in Wikipedia namespace

The {{bots}} template is currently used on many Wikipedia namespace pages in conjunction with {{User:MiszaBot/config}}. Currently, the {{bots}} template is explicitly only allows Sassobot (allow=Sassobot). This will prevent Bot873 from running on those pages. To proceed with archiving operations, the community will need to decide on one of the following:

  1. Remove the {{bots}} template from all Wikipedia namespace pages and use {{nobots}} where bot activity should be specifically forbidden, if required.
  2. Remove allow=Sassbot from the {{bots}} templates that are currently on Wikipedia namespace pages. This would implicitly allow bot activity from any approved bot.
  3. Append the {{bots}} templates used in the Wikipedia namespace with allow=Sassobot,Bot873 to allow either bot to archive the page with the template.

Support

Oppose

Comments

RfC #2: Bot873 to archive project/Wikipedia pages

With a successful first production run, Bot873 is ready to be offered to the community to take up duties archiving project/Wikipedia pages as needed. Once RfC #1 is settled, the bot is ready to take over from Sassobot until such time as Sassobot returns. With community consent, Bot873 will happily get to work. However, to repeat, RfC #1 above will directly affect this proposal.

Support

Oppose

Comments

Thanks for all the patience and input! Operator873 connect 05:54, 10 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]


The above discussion is preserved as an archive. Please do not change it. Subsequent comments should be made on the appropriate discussion page, such as the current discussion page. No more changes should be made to this discussion.


Invitation to join Movement Strategy Forum

Hello everyone,

The Movement Strategy Forum (MS Forum) is a multilingual collaborative space for all conversations about Movement Strategy implementation. It provides a great opportunity to share your Movement Strategy(MS) work, find collaborators, and get even more support and ideas for your MS projects. We are inviting all Movement participants to collaborate on the MS Forum. The goal of the forum is to build community collaboration using an inclusive multilingual platform.

The Movement Strategy is a collaborative effort to imagine and build the future of the Wikimedia Movement. Anyone can contribute to the Movement Strategy, from a comment to a full-time project.

Join this forum with your Wikimedia account, say hi here and go ahead and join or start a conversation on the recommendation you are most passionate about! Feel free to discuss your MS project ideas and plans or even reports from MS projects you have worked on. To get started, you can also watch this video.

The Movement Strategy and Governance team (MSG) launched the proposal for this MS Forum in May. After a 2-month review period, we have just published the Community Review Report. It includes a summary of the discussions, metrics, and information about the next steps.

We look forward to seeing you at the MS Forum!

Best regards,

Zuz (WMF) (talk) 09:41, 19 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Requesting move of Murugan to Kartikeya in line with English wikipedia.

Requesting move of Murugan to Kartikeya in line with English wikipedia. Redtigerxyz (talk) 11:05, 19 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

I'm facing problem to move as Kartikeya is made as redirect page. @TDKR Chicago 101 can you please do the needful? DRC (User:TTP1233) (talk . e-mail . contrib) 11:14, 19 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@TTP1233 When moving a page from A to B, where B is a redirect page, there are two possible scenarios:
  • B was created as a redirect, and has always been a redirect in its history:
    As this page never had significant content to begin with, A can be moved to B without any problem
  • B is currently a redirect, but it wasn't a redirect at some point in its history, and/or it was not created as a redirect:
    To move page A to B, B has to be deleted first. Tag it {{db-g6}}. After an admin decides to delete the target page, page A can be moved to B
in this case you'd want to tag Kartikeya with {{db-g6}}. — *Fehufangą✉ Talk page 22:48, 20 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks @Fehufanga for your kind advice. I will see to it DRC (User:TTP1233) (talk . e-mail . contrib) 02:20, 21 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
 Done: @Redtigerxyz you request is accepted by manual redirect. Hope you are happy.. :-D Best DRC (User:TTP1233) (talk . e-mail . contrib) 06:46, 21 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@TTP1233: please note that I have reverted the manual redirect because that is a cut and paste move. Cut and paste moves should not be performed. For this case, as Fehufanga mentioned, the destination page should have been tagged with QD G6 first, and then Murugan moved to the new title. Chenzw  Talk  11:29, 22 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Also when moving a page in future, it is good practice to review the content again and update the article content for the new title. Chenzw  Talk  11:33, 22 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Okay @Chenzw, got it. Actually I wanted to go with @Fehufanga's idea but I felt that QD deletion is taking lengthy. Still thank you for your advice. DRC (User:TTP1233) (talk . e-mail . contrib) 12:40, 22 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Unfortunately, what Fehufanga said was not optional. Please keep that in mind in future. Chenzw  Talk  12:50, 22 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

The 2022 Board of Trustees Election Community Voting period is now open

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Hi everyone,

The Community Voting period for the 2022 Board of Trustees election is now open. Here are some helpful links to get you the information you need to vote:

If you are ready to vote, you may go to SecurePoll voting page to vote now. You may vote from August 23 at 00:00 UTC to September 6 at 23:59 UTC. To see about your voter eligibility, please visit the voter eligibility page.

Best,

Movement Strategy and Governance

This message was sent on behalf of the Board Selection Task Force and the Elections Committee

Zuz (WMF) (talk) 20:50, 23 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Reliable sources

Hello. There is an article in the standard English Wikipedia that probably fits in this Wikipedia as well, but with sources talked more about here instead of the sources on the original English article.— Preceding unsigned comment added by JanKeso (talkcontribs) 18:04, 23 May 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Introducing Taskforce Re-Run

Hello there. I'm here today to introduce Taskforce Re-Run, a new taskforce dedicated to cleaning up television list articles. Please consider joining if you wish to help. Derpdart56 (talk) 18:07, 24 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Enquiry about User:Djsasso

@Djsasso is currently inactive for a long time since 1 June 2022, if I'm not wrong. May I know why this user is inactive at this moment? DRC (User:TTP1233) (talk . e-mail . contrib) 14:58, 17 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@TTP1233: Have you tried contacting them? There might not be anyone here who knows the reason. If anyone knows, they may be unwilling or unauthorized to say. -- Auntof6 (talk) 17:46, 17 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
(talk page stalker) Yea I found it a bit odd he has been inactive this long of a time, however he might just be busy IRL. --Tsugaru let's talk! :) 20:14, 17 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
I hope it's not something more serious, or even permanent. -- Auntof6 (talk) 22:21, 17 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
I sent Djsasso a talk page message and an email about SassoBot a few months ago now, and he has not responded to either of them unfortunately. Completely disconnected from IRC as well that he was previously on. So I haven't seen anything from him in months now. I hope he is doing alright. --Ferien (talk) 21:58, 18 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
On an unrelated but similar matter, I've also reached out to User:Creol with no response. People come and go, even those who have been around for a long time. Real life often gets in the way, hopefully in a positive personal way. Wishing them both the best as long term valued members of this community. --Gordonrox24 | Talk 22:33, 20 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
@Gordonrox24: I'm not sure if you're aware, but Creol continued on another account, Pure Evil, and continued editing on that up until 24 June, with this being the final edit. --Ferien (talk) 20:13, 24 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
I thought that was a separate user, considering the account has been around since 2008. Lights and freedom (talk) 20:20, 24 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Nope, he has admitted to being the same person on multiple occasions, including here. --Ferien (talk) 21:29, 24 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Three months isn't that long. Let's all hope Djsasso is on some kind of fruitful summer adventure. But people also just leave. Darkfrog24 (talk) 17:49, 22 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Yea, and three months is the minimum time on EN to place missing notice on a userpage, so that means that three months isn't that long indeed as Darkfrog24 says. --Tsugaru let's talk! :) 20:31, 22 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
I am around. Just not super active at the moment. Enjoying the summer. -Djsasso (talk) 12:11, 24 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Good to hear that you are still holding up. MrMeAndMrMeLet's talk 19:05, 24 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Nice to hear from you, Djsasso! I hope you have a nice rest of the summer! Tsugaru let's talk! :) 20:43, 24 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
I have no idea why must you want to know? Juse13 (talk) 23:26, 28 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

The 2022 Board of Trustees election Community Voting is about to Close

Hello,

The Community Voting period of the 2022 Board of Trustees election started on August 23, 2022, and will close on September 6, 2022 23:59 UTC. There’s still a chance to participate in this election. If you did not vote, please visit the SecurePoll voting page to vote now. To see about your voter eligibility, please visit the voter eligibility page. If you need help in making your decision, here are some helpful links:

Best,

Movement Strategy and Governance

Zuz (WMF) (talk) 12:25, 30 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

New wikiproject

Hello, I'm launching Wikiproject Software to help improve software related projects. I noticed a few of our windows-related software articles were filled with typos. I'd like to fix this and improve the software articles we have that aren't related to Windows. Derpdart56 (talk) 15:59, 30 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

I am good at fixing typos. Can you toss me a few titles? Darkfrog24 (talk) 00:18, 31 August 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

This two categories seems the same. Could anyone help merge them?

Category:Articles containing Uyghur-language text and Category:Articles containing Uighur-language text seems the same, but I'm not which should be kept and how. So I asked for help here. Thanks. 迴廊彼端 (talk) 15:24, 1 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

@迴廊彼端:  Done, the page has been deleted. Hockeycatcat (talk) (changes) 15:55, 1 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks for User:Macdonald-ross's and User:Hockeycatcat's help however there are still some things to do. There are still some articles in Category:Articles containing Uighur-language text because some problems of modules and templates. I found some clues in Module:Lang/data however I don't know how to fix them and only admins' can edit them. Please help. 迴廊彼端 (talk) 16:27, 1 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Macdonald-ross, can you restore Category:Articles containing Uighur-language text? This (with an I, not a Y) is the name used on enwiki. I believe I can easily fix this problem by adjusting {{Lang-ug}}. Lights and freedom (talk) 17:58, 1 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Thanks for User:Lights and freedom's help. I've adjusted Template:ISO 639 name ug for preventing wrong link in its doc. However the program commands in Template:Lang-ug turns Category:Articles containing Uighur-language text into a self-categorized category. It's better to reconstruct it like Template:Lang-de or Template:Lang-zh.--迴廊彼端 (talk) 02:08, 2 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Sorry, I don't know how to change that. Lights and freedom (talk) 15:06, 2 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
 Done -Djsasso (talk) 16:12, 2 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Discussion on Vector (2022) skin

Hello, I would like to bring your attention that an discussion is started already for changing the default skin to vector (2022 version) at English Wikipedia (en:Wikipedia:Village pump (proposals)#Defining a process for the discussion of making Vector 2022 the new default). The new one looks good to me, but still I want the feedback to all of you regarding on this new skin be default in this wiki. I see the testwiki has made the new skin as default. Comments? --DRC (User:TTP1233) (talk . e-mail . contrib) 17:13, 1 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Revised Enforcement Draft Guidelines for the Universal Code of Conduct

Hello everyone,

The Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement Guidelines Revisions committee is requesting comments regarding the Revised Enforcement Draft Guidelines for the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC). This review period will be open from 8 September 2022 until 8 October 2022.

The Committee collaborated to revise these draft guidelines based on input gathered from the community discussion period from May through July, as well as the community vote that concluded in March 2022. The revisions are focused on the following four areas:

  1. To identify the type, purpose, and applicability of the UCoC training;
  2. To simplify the language for more accessible translation and comprehension by non-experts;
  3. To explore the concept of affirmation, including its pros and cons;
  4. To review the balancing of the privacy of the accuser and the accused

The Committee requests comments and suggestions about these revisions by 8 October 2022. From there, the Revisions Committee anticipates further revising the guidelines based on community input.

Find the Revised Guidelines on Meta, and a comparison page in some languages.

Everyone may share comments in a number of places. Facilitators welcome comments in any language on the Revisions Guideline Talk Page. Comments can also be shared on talk pages of translations, at local discussions, or during conversation hours. There are planned live discussions about the UCoC enforcement draft guidelines; please see Meta times and details: Conversation hours

The facilitation team supporting this review period hopes to reach a large number of communities. If you do not see a conversation happening in your community, please organize a discussion. Facilitators can assist you in setting up the conversations. Discussions will be summarized and presented to the drafting committee every two weeks. The summaries will be published here.

Zuz (WMF) (talk) 13:57, 8 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Talk to the Community Tech Team, 14 September 2022 + mini-survey

(Hello. This is a crosspost. Please help translate to your language. Please feel free to move to a better venue if you prefer. Thank you!)

I'm happy to announce that the beloved Community Tech team (the folks behind the Community Wishlist, as you know) invite you to meet them on 2022-09-14 for a chat on Zoom.

All details are on Meta; your support in translating the message and getting the word out is welcome, as usual.

Bonus! They have a mini-survey for you (also on Meta). Please consider taking a few minutes to let them know what you would like to see covered in future meetings. You can leave your thoughts on the Meta talk page.

For everything related to this announcement and the event, please contact Karolin Siebert - not me! Kind regards, --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 19:27, 8 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Material

Hello! I just noticed that this page is more of a definition and not a specific topic that an article can expand on. Should I add a deletion template? I'm just looking for input on this page, so I don't do something like put up a good article for deletion. Sincerely, Midknight of the Abyss (talk) 14:44, 8 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Hello, If you think that the definition isn't good, and that improving it to a point where it is decent is difficult; or that there's little "encyclopedic substance", then you should put the article up for deletion (articles also survive deletion discussions). If however you think that if you take half an hour and come up with something keepable, that's the preferred way to go, though. Eptalon (talk) 15:10, 8 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
What about redirect? Here's the page: Material. Please review it and tell me if it's worth redirecting to Matter. Midknight of the Abyss (talk) 19:23, 8 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]
Article seems fine to me. Don't think it needs a redirect. -Djsasso (talk) 12:12, 9 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Continents and island nations

Jamaica, the West Indies, Hispaniola... We're counting them as part of North America, right? A frog that lives in Jamaica is filed under CAT:Frogs of North America? Darkfrog24 (talk) 23:57, 9 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

That would make sense to me.--Gordonrox24 | Talk 01:23, 12 September 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]