University of Bologna
Università di Bologna
|Latin: Universitas Bononiensis|
|Motto||Alma mater studiorum (Latin)|
Motto in English
|Nourishing mother of the studies|
|Affiliations||Coimbra Group, Utrecht Network|
The University of Bologna is the oldest university in continuous operation. It was founded in Bologna, Italy in about 1088.
The university received a charter from Frederick I Barbarossa in 1158. In the 19th century, a committee of historians traced the founding of the University back to 1088. If so, it is the oldest continuous university in the world. That is slightly earlier than the University of Oxford, where there is evidence of teaching in 1096.
Bologna was also the first to use the term universitas for the corporation of students and masters which make up a university.
History[change | change source]
In the Middle Ages, the University of Bologna was famous in all Europe for its schools of humanities and law.
The poets Dante and Petrarca studied at this university. Called officially Alma mater studiorum, the university is an institution for students of both sexes, supported by the state. It offers courses in arts, law, medicine, pharmacy, mathematics, engineering, agronomy, veterinary medicine and pedagogy. The Italian semiologist and writer Umberto Eco was the Chair of semiotics at the university. The former prime minister of Italy, Romano Prodi, is a professor in the Department of Economics.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "La nostra storia (our history): University of Bologna". Archived from the original on 2013-06-29. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- ↑ Top Universities World University Rankings Retrieved 2010-1-6
- ↑ Our History - Università di Bologna
- ↑ Gaston, Paul L. (2010). The challenge of Bologna : what United States higher education has to learn from Europe, and why it matters that we learn it (1st ed.). Sterling, Va.: Stylus Pub. ISBN 978-1-4416-5681-0. OCLC 642685727.
- ↑ "A Brief History of the University". University of Oxford. Archived from the original on 11 April 2008. Retrieved 30 October 2007.
Other websites[change | change source]
- (in Italian) Official website