List of districts in Uttarakhand
A district of Uttarakhand state is an administrative geographical unit, headed by a Deputy Commissioner (earlier called District Collector) or District Magistrate, an officer belonging to the Indian Administrative Service. The deputy commissioner and the district magistrate are assisted by a number of officers (such as deputy collector, assistant collector, assistant district magistrate, tehsildar, deputy (naib) tehsildar) belonging to Uttarakhand Civil Service and other Uttarakhand state services.
A Superintendent of Police, an officer belonging to the Indian Police Service, heads the police in the district and is entrusted with the responsibility of maintaining law and order and related issues. He is assisted by the officers of the Uttarakhand Police Service.
A Deputy Conservator of Forests, an officer belonging to the Indian Forest Service is responsible for managing the Forests, environment and wild-life related issues of the district. He is assisted by the officers of the Uttarakhand Forest Service and other Uttarakhand Forest officials and Uttarakhand Wild-Life officials.
Sectoral development is looked after by the district head of each development department such as PWD, Health, Education, Agriculture, Animal husbandry, etc. These officers belong to the various State Services.
Four new districts are proposed in Uttarakhand: Ranikhet, Didihat, Kotdwar and Yamunotri.
Alphabetical listing[change | change source]
|Code||District||Headquarters||Population (As of 2011[update])||Area (km²)||Density (/km²)||Division||Map|
|US||Udham Singh Nagar||Rudrapur||1,648,367||2,908||567||Kumaon|
Proposed Districts[change | change source]
- Didihat, from Pithoragarh district
- Kashipur, from Udham Singh Nagar district
- Kotdwar, from Pauri Garhwal district
- Ramnagar, from Nainital district
- Ranikhet, from Almora district
- Rishikesh, from Dehradun district, Tehri Garhwal district, and Pauri Garhwal district
- Roorkee, from Haridwar district
- Yamunotri, from Uttarkashi district
- Government should make a joint city with kashipur and ramnagar with single municipal cooperation and bigger combined budget for two citys*
References[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Districts of Uttarakhand.|
- "Uttarakhand CM announces four new districts". Zee News. 15 August 2011.
- "Uttarakhand - Districts of India: Know India". National Portal of India. Retrieved 2009-04-04.
- "District wise population in India as of 2011 census - updateOX".