A wall is a vertical dividing surface. It divides space in buildings into rooms or protects buildings. It is usually made of stone or brick. Walls have two main purposes: to support the top part of buildings, and to divide space, giving protection from invasion, escape, and weather.
Retaining wall[change | change source]
Types of retaining wall are:
- Anchored wall
- Cantilever wall
- Gravity wall
- Piling wall
Main type of walls[change | change source]
Load Bearing Wall is a structural element. It carries the weight of a house from the roof and upper floors, all the way to the foundation. It supports structural members like beams, slab and walls on above floors.
Non-Load Bearing Wall doesn't help the structure to stand up and holds up only itself. It doesn't support floor roof loads above. It is a framed structure. Most are interior walls whose purpose is to divide the structure into rooms.
Partition Wall separates spaces from buildings. It can be solid, constructed from brick or stone. It is a framed construction. The partition wall is secured to the floor, ceiling, and walls. It is enough strong to carry its own load. It resists impact. It is stable and strong to support wall fixtures. The partition wall works as a sound barrier and it is fire resistant.
Cavity Wall A cavity wall or hollow wall consists of two separate walls, called leaves or skins, with a cavity or gap in-between. The two leaves of the cavity wall may be of equal thickness if it a non-load-bearing wall or the internal leaf may be thicker than the external leaf, to meet the structural requirements.
Veneered Wall holds up the material. It can be made of brick or stone. The most famous veneered wall is made of brick. The wall is only one wythe thick. It became the norm when building codes began to require insulation in interior walls. It is light weighted. Veneered walls can be built quickly.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "What is a Retaining Wall". www.allanblock.com. Archived from the original on 2021-05-16. Retrieved 2022-05-28.
- "What is Wall? Types of Walls You Should be Using - Civil Engineering". civiltoday.com. Archived from the original on 2020-10-08. Retrieved 2020-10-06.
- "Movable Partition Walls". www.movablepartitionwalls.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2020-09-30. Retrieved 2020-10-06.
- "Features of zoning of space with rack partitions". Archived from the original on 2021-08-11.
- "what is cavity wall? Purposes, construction advantages, and disadvantages". www.civilknowledges.com. 8 June 2019. Archived from the original on 2022-05-28. Retrieved 2020-10-30.