2006 Hengchun earthquake
|Date||December 26, 2006|
|Depth||10 kilometres (6 mi)|
|Countries or regions affected||Physical: Taiwan
Communications: Various countries in East and Southeast Asia
|Casualties||2 dead; 42 injured|
The 2006 Hengchun earthquake happened on Tuesday December 26, 2006 at 12:25 UTC (20:25 local time) near Taiwan. On the surface the center of the earthquake was about 22.8 km west southwest of Hengchun, Pingtung County, Taiwan. The center of the earthquake underground was 21.9 km deep in the Luzon Strait ( ).
Reports of the strength of the quake do not all agree. Taiwan's Central Weather Bureau reported 7.0 ML  The United States Geological Survey estimated the quake to be 7.1 Mw  The Hong Kong Observatory  and the Japan Meteorological Agency  said 7.2 Mw. Taiwan's Central News Agency reported that it was the strongest earthquake to hit Hengchun in one hundred years. The earthquake hurt and killed many people and damaged many buildings. It also damaged several undersea cables. The broken cables were a problem for telecommunication services in parts of Asia.
The date of the earthquake was unusual. The earthquake happened exactly two years after the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake that caused terrible damage to the coastal communities across Southeast and South Asia. It was also exactly three years after the 2003 earthquake that almost destroyed the southern Iranian city of Bam.
Tsunami warning [change]
Warning from agencies in other areas [change]
An early tsunami warning came from the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA). They reported that the earthquake caused a 1 meter tsunami. It was moving towards the east coast of the Philippines. The Hong Kong Observatory also reported a tsunami that would probably not affect Hong Kong.
Related pages [change]
- Earthquake Report #95106, Central Weather Bureau of Taiwan, 2010-04-14
- USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Magnitude 7.1 - TAIWAN REGION, USGS, 2006-12-26
- List of locally felt earth tremors since 1979, Hong Kong Observatory
- 台湾付近震度分布図, Japan Meteorological Agency, 2006-12-26 (Japanese)
- 2 KILLED IN STRONGEST EARTHQUAKE IN HENGCHUN IN 100 YEARS, Central News Agency, Taiwan, 2006-12-27
- 從恆春地震看國內建築防震問題, 新浪新聞中心|中廣新聞網, 2006-12-28 (Chinese)
- Tsunami Information and Warning, Hong Kong Observatory
Other websites [change]
|Wikinews has news related to this article: Strong earthquake strikes off the coast of Taiwan|
- US Geological Survey (USGS) earthquake report
- Taiwan's Central Weather Bureau earthquake report
- Central Weather Bureau of Taiwan The CWB maintains an up-to-date record of earthquakes and their aftershocks.
- Reuters article
- BBC NEWS article
- CNN article
- International Herald Tribune article
- Singapore's Channel NewsAsia report on 28 December 2006