This is the place to ask any questions you have about the Simple English Wikipedia. Any general discussions or anything of community interest is also appropriate here.
You might also find an answer on Wikipedia:Useful, a listing of helpful pages.
If Wikipedia is not working or is very slow, you might find news about this at "Wikipedia's Status".
You may reply to any section below by clicking the "change this page" link, or add a new discussion section to this page. Please sign and date your post (by typing ~~~~). Please add new topics to the bottom of this page.
Please note that old discussions on this page are archived periodically. If you do not find a discussion here, please look in the archives. Note that you should not change the archives, so if something that has been archived needs discussing, please start a new discussion on this page.
Some of the language used on this page can be complicated. This is because it is used by editors to talk to one another, so sometimes we forget. Please leave us a note if you are finding what we are saying too hard to read.
|Are you in the right place?
net neutrality[change | change source]
Propose policy change - allow WikiProjects in mainspace[change | change source]
Right now Simple English Wikipedia does not allow WikiProjects to exist in mainspace. At Wikipedia talk:WikiProject I request that User:Bluerasberry/WikiProject Medicine be allowed to move to mainspace as a general WikiProject rather than remain as a user project in userspace. The main reason I have for this is that only WikiProjects in mainspace, and not those in userspace, can be listed in Wikidata.
Content Translation beta feature will be enabled on 21 April 2015[change | change source]
Hello, Content Translation will be enabled as a beta-feature in the Simple English Wikipedia on 21 April, 2015. It is currently available on http://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Special:ContentTranslation for testing translation. You need to create a new account for this wiki as it is currently not covered by the central authentication system. Once logged in please enable the beta-feature to see the tool. You can translate from any article in the available source languages. Please let us know your comments and feedback through the Content Translation talk page or Phabricator. Thank you.--Runa Bhattacharjee (talk) 09:53, 17 April 2015 (UTC)
- As a personal comment, please make sure that you stay within our rules for Simple English. StevenJ81 (talk) 17:05, 17 April 2015 (UTC)
- Amazing that we've been asked whether we actually want/need that. For my taste it is rather rude to implement such a feature and so to use this project as test ground without consulting the community before. -Barras talk 20:06, 17 April 2015 (UTC)
- My apologies if it sounded that way. The reason we generally do a pre-announcement is to make sure that we are aware of concerns or special information we may not know of otherwise. We have had some discussions during Wikimania 2014 (I cannot recall names at this point, sorry) about simplewiki being able to leverage the tool, possibly even better than some other languages. We already provide simple as a source so that people can translate from it. Please feel to let us know if there are any specific things we ought to be aware of. Essentially, nothing would change unless a user enables the beta-feature. Thanks.--Runa Bhattacharjee (talk) 10:33, 20 April 2015 (UTC)
- You might be right, Runa, about simplewiki being in a good position to leverage the tool. But there is also a risk here. I assume that the translation tool, as being implemented here, does not have a restricted vocabulary. And in any case it will not restrict the grammar. We'd like it to be easy for people to bring content here–but we don't want them writing English that is not "simple", either.
- Here's a question for you. In its implementation here, is there a way to make sure there is a link in the tool to our various guides to Simple English? (There are 3-4 vocabulary lists, plus maybe 2-3 other WP-space articles.) StevenJ81 (talk) 13:35, 21 April 2015 (UTC)
- About your concern about vocabulary, the tool by itself will not generate any content because there is no translation system that can translate from English to simple version of it. However, it will have an editing interface where links etc. will be automatically adapted from simplewiki that are appropriate wherever links exist in the original version of the article, thus reducing a lot of back and forth movement while editing. Our assumption here is that if an article exists in English, simplewiki editors are most likely rewriting much of that article to create the simpler version. It will be a learning exercise for the development team as well to understand special use cases for which we can introduce new features on the interface or perhaps help other languages also to get started with a simple version wiki. We will really appreciate any suggestions that you may have.
- As for the placement of links to guides, we currently do not have a provision for wiki-specific modifications on the editing interface. But we are constantly exploring ways to improve it. I think this would be a good enhancement request and can add it to phabricator so that we don't forget about it. Meanwhile we now have the beta-feature enabled (announcement coming up shortly) and we will really appreciate feedback on what can be done better to make it more useful. Thanks.--Runa Bhattacharjee (talk) 16:17, 21 April 2015 (UTC)
Color list on color articles[change | change source]
I strongly recommend you to use the table instead of a chart to show color shades. Here's an example.
From this (the chart) :
|Light Bubbles (Bubbles Light) (Xona.com Color List) (Hex: #F5FFFF) (RGB: 245, 255, 255)|
|Bubbles (Xona.com Color List) (Hex: #E7FEFF) (RGB: 231, 254, 255)|
|Beau Blue (Plochere) (Hex: #BCD4E6) (RGB: 188, 212, 230)|
|BABY BLUE (www.99color.net) (Baby Blue) (Maerz and Paul) (Hex: #89CFF0) (RGB: 137, 207, 240)|
|Baby Blue Eyes (Plochere) (Hex: #A1CAF1) (RGB: 161, 202, 241)|
|Little Boy Blue (Pantone TPX 16-4132) (Hex: #6CA0DC) (RGB: 108, 160, 220)|
To this (the table) :
|Light Bubbles||#F5FFFF||245||255||255||180*||100%||98%||Xona.com Color List|
|Bubbles||#E7FEFF||231||254||255||183*||100%||95%||Xona.com Color List|
|Baby Blue Eyes||#A1CAF1||161||202||241||209*||74%||79%||Plochere|
|Little Boy Blue||#6CA0DC||108||160||220||212*||62%||64%||Pantone TPX 16-4132|
The table is better since it's sortable and has HSL information. I have little to no time to come here. That's why I hadn't been editing Wikipedia. I came here today and saw that Ruby (color) was a new color article created using a chart rather than a table. That's why I posted this notice. I stopped editing since I became busy with other things and the charts needing to be changed became longer. Since I finished about 3/5s the articles, I want you to finish the rest. --Toran107 (talk) 02:14, 19 April 2015 (UTC)
- Personally, I think this advice is excellent, but I see En wiki has yet another system, which has the virtue of saving space. I hope other editors take the time to think about it. Macdonald-ross (talk) 14:11, 19 April 2015 (UTC)
I am pleased to announce that nominations are now being accepted for the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections. This year the Board and the FDC Staff are looking for a diverse set of candidates from regions and projects that are traditionally under-represented on the board and in the movement as well as candidates with experience in technology, product or finance. To this end they have published letters describing what they think is needed and, recognizing that those who know the community the best are the community themselves, the election committee is accepting nominations for community members you think should run and will reach out to those nominated to provide them with information about the job and the election process.
This year, elections are being held for the following roles:
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees is the decision-making body that is ultimately responsible for the long term sustainability of the Foundation, so we value wide input into its selection. There are three positions being filled. More information about this role can be found at the board elections page.
Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC)
The Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) makes recommendations about how to allocate Wikimedia movement funds to eligible entities. There are five positions being filled. More information about this role can be found at the FDC elections page.
Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC) Ombud
The FDC Ombud receives complaints and feedback about the FDC process, investigates complaints at the request of the Board of Trustees, and summarizes the investigations and feedback for the Board of Trustees on an annual basis. One position is being filled. More information about this role can be found at the FDC Ombudsperson elections page.
The candidacy submission phase lasts from 00:00 UTC April 20 to 23:59 UTC May 5 for the Board and from 00:00 UTCApril 20 to 23:59 UTC April 30 for the FDC and FDC Ombudsperson. This year, we are accepting both self-nominations and nominations of others. More information on this election and the nomination process can be found on the 2015 Wikimedia elections page on Meta-Wiki.
Please feel free to post a note about the election on your project's village pump. Any questions related to the election can be posted on the talk page on Meta, or sent to the election committee's mailing list, board-elections -at- wikimedia.org
Content Translation beta feature is now available[change | change source]
Hello, Content Translation has been enabled as a beta feature on the Simple English Wikipedia. In addition to translating from any other language, in the Simple English Wikipedia you can use Content Translation to simplify pages from the English Wikipedia. In-built features like link adaption will support the process. To enable the beta feature please go to Special:ContentTranslation or to your contributions page and create a new translation by selecting the source language, the article name and target language. If the article already exists then a warning will be displayed. After you translate or simplify the article, you can publish it directly as a new page on the Simple English Wikipedia. In case the article gets created in the Simple English Wikipedia by another user you will see an option to save the newly published translation under your user namespace. The number of published pages can be seen on the Content Translation stats page.
Since, this is the first time we have installed the tool on this Wikipedia, there are chances that there may be some problems or service disruptions which we are not yet aware of. We will be monitoring the usage to check for any failures or issues, but please do let us know on the Content Translation talk page or through Phabricator if you spot any problems that prevent you from using the tool. For more information, please read about how to use the tool. You can also view a short screencast on how to use Content Translation. Thank you.--Runa Bhattacharjee (talk) 16:20, 21 April 2015 (UTC)