From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Admiral is the highest rank in a navy. The term is used internationally by many countries. It derives originally from the Arabic amīr (= commander), and comes down to us by way of Old French and Latin.
Variations on the term are:
- Admiral of the Fleet: originally, the Admiral in charge of an operational fleet, later used to designate senior status.
- Vice-Admiral: step lower in rank than Admiral.
- Rear-Admiral: two steps lower in rank than Admiral.
- Admiralty: the department of government which administers the navy.
- Admiralty Board: committee of the Ministry of Defence (UK)
- Admiral: a butterfly of vivid colour belonging to the Nymphalid family.
- Concise Oxford Dictionary, 9th ed p 18.