Arsenal tube station
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|Lists of stations|
Arsenal tube station is a London Underground station in Highbury, north London. It is on the Piccadilly Line, in Travelcard Zone 2. It is between Holloway Road and Finsbury Park. It was originally known as Gillespie Road, but was renamed in 1932 after Arsenal Football Club. At that time the team played at the nearby Arsenal Stadium. It is the only Tube station named directly after a football club. Arsenal Stadium closed in 2006, but the station retains its name and is still used by spectators attending matches at Arsenal's new Emirates Stadium. However, it is still quieter than other stations on the same stretch of line.
References[change | edit source]
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2004". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/corporate/modesoftransport/tube/performance/entriesandexits.asp?id=10&agekey=2004. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- "Customer metrics: entries and exits: 2007". London Underground performance update. Transport for London. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/corporate/modesoftransport/tube/performance/entriesandexits.asp?id=10&agekey=2007. Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- Several tube stations, including West Ham and Wimbledon, share their names with football clubs, but only Arsenal was named directly after a club rather than the associated area.
Further reading[change | edit source]
- Butt, R.V.J. (October 1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st Edition ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
Other websites[change | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Arsenal tube station|
- London Transport Museum Photographic Archive
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|