William Daro "Billy" Bean (born May 11, 1964 in Santa Ana, California) is a former Major League Baseball player. He attended Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles. He was an outfielder, a pinch hitter, and a first baseman. He threw and batted left. Bean is gay, and wrote a book, Going the Other Way: Lessons from a Life in and out of Major League Baseball. For 13 years, Bean was the partner of Efrain Viega, the founder of Yuca restaurant in Miami. They broke up in July 2008. Bean has appeared on television. He starred in a MTV episode of Made, and he was an actor in an episode of the sitcom Frasier.
References[change | change source]
- "Bill Bean". Baseball Reference. http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beanbi01.shtml. Retrieved March 13, 2012.
- Sean Bugg (15 May 2003). "Out of the Park: Former pro-baseball player Billy Bean pursues a new field of dreams". Metro Weekly. http://www.metroweekly.com/feature/?ak=472. Retrieved 2008-03-16.
- Buzinski, Jim (June 29, 2008). "Billy Bean, partner split". OutSports. http://www.outsports.com/jocktalkblog/?p=1172. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- "Bean-Viega Split Accompanied by Tragedy date = July 11, 2008". The Advocate. http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid57462.asp. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- See http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1467905/