|Slogan||Bing is for doing (2012)
Bing and decide (2010)
|Type of site||Web search engine|
|Available language(s)||40 languages|
|Launched||June 1, 2009|
|Alexa rank||▼ 16 (July 2013[update])|
Bing (before called Windows Live Search and MSN Search) is a search engine website. Microsoft calls it a "decision engine", meaning that Bing tries to find meanings from search results and gives people links to websites listing the best links first. A preview version was made available for everyone to use on June 1, 2009, and the website was fully launched on June 3, 2009. The website quickly became popular after a few weeks.'
In October 2011, Microsoft announced "Tiger", a new internal search computer program for Bing. When it is finished, Bing will deliver faster and more relevant search results for users. It is being incorporated into Bing around the world starting in August 2011.
Features[change | edit source]
Bing includes the listing of search suggestions as queries are entered. It lists related searches (called "Explore pane") based on semantic technology from Powerset that Microsoft purchased in 2008.
Every day, Bing.com displays a different picture that users can click on parts of to learn more about. These pictures can be about different places around the world, or nature, or even sometimes things in outer space.
Media features[change | edit source]
- Video thumbnail Preview where, by hovering over a video thumbnail, the video automatically starts playing
- Image search with continuous scrolling images results page that has adjustable settings for size, layout, color, style and people.
- Video search with adjustable setting for length, screen size, resolution and source
References[change | edit source]
- "Bing.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/bing.com. Retrieved 2013-07-29.
- Discover Bing: Explore Bing Services & Features for Everyday Decisions
- Microsoft’s New Search at Bing.com Helps People Make Better Decisions
- Bing Continues to Show Growth in Search Activity, According to comScore - comScore, Inc
- Microsoft and Yahoo seal web deal.
- "When will the change happen? How long will the transition take?", help.yahoo.com, March 23, 2011
- "Bing Unleashing Tiger to Speed Search Results", Search Engine Watch, October 3, 2011
- "Microsoft Bing rides open source to semantic search". The Register. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/04/bing_and_powerset/. Retrieved 2010-01-01.
- "Microsoft to Acquire Powerset". Bing. http://www.bing.com/community/blogs/powerset/archive/2008/07/01/microsoft-to-acquire-powerset.aspx. Retrieved 2010-01-01.
- http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/12/set-bingcoms-background-of-day-as-your.html[dead link]
- Limit Image Results to Color or Black and White Images.
Other websites[change | edit source]
- Bing for Mobile
- Discover Bing
- Decision Engine
- Bing Community
- Bing Webmaster Center
- Bing Developer Center