From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A buzzard is one of several large birds.
Old World[change | edit source]
In the Old World Buzzard can mean:
- One of several medium-sized, wide-ranging raptors with a robust body and broad wings.
- In particular, those in the genus Buteo. In the Old World, members of this genus are named as "buzzards", but "hawk" is more common in North America.
- Specifically, in Europe, the Common Buzzard, Buteo buteo. Most people call this bird Buzzard.
- Any raptor with the word buzzard as part of its name.
New World[change | edit source]
In the New World Buzzard can mean:
- A vulture. Mostly the American Black Vulture and Turkey Vulture. It can be used as a general name for vultures.
- In parts of the United States where they are thought to be a pest, the name is used in a bad way to mean a bird of prey. Mostly it is used for the Cooper's Hawk, the Sharp-shinned Hawk the Red-tailed Hawk or the Duck hawk.
Buteo species[change | edit source]
- Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo)
- Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)
- Long-legged Buzzard (Buteo rufinus)
- Rough-legged Buzzard (Buteo lagopus)
- Ferruginous Hawk (Buteo regalis)
- Red-shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus)
- Broad-winged Hawk (Buteo platypterus )
- Swainson's Hawk (Buteo swainsoni)
- Roadside Hawk (Buteo magnirostris)
- Ridgway's Hawk (Buteo ridgwayi)
- White-rumped Hawk (Buteo leucorrhous)
- Short-tailed Hawk (Buteo brachyurus)
- White-throated Hawk (Buteo albigula)
- White-tailed Hawk (Buteo albicaudatus)
- Galápagos Hawk (Buteo galapagoensis)
- Red-backed Hawk (Buteo polyosoma)
- Puna Hawk (Buteo poecilochrous)
- Gray Hawk (Buteo nitidus)
- Zone-tailed Hawk (Buteo albonotatus )
- Hawaiian Hawk (Buteo solitarius)
- Rufous-tailed Hawk (Buteo ventralis)
- Mountain Buzzard (Buteo oreophilus)
- Madagascar Buzzard (Buteo brachypterus)
- Upland Buzzard (Buteo hemilasius)
- Red-necked Buzzard (Buteo auguralis)
- Augur Buzzard, Buteo augur
- Archer's Buzzard, Buteo archeri
- Jackal Buzzard (Buteo rufofuscus)
Other species known as "buzzard"[change | edit source]
- Black Honey-buzzard (Henicopernis infuscatus)
- Black-breasted Buzzard (Hamirostra melanosternon)
- Lizard Buzzard (Kaupifalco monogrammicus)
- Grasshopper Buzzard (Butastur rufipennis)
- White-eyed Buzzard (Butastur teesa)
- Rufous-winged Buzzard (Butastur liventer)
- Grey-faced Buzzard (Butastur indicus)
- Black-chested Buzzard-eagle (Geranoaetus melanoleucus)
- The honey-buzzards, genus Pernis, look something like Buteo buzzards. They feed on wasp nests and larvae.