|Type||Subsidiary of public company|
|When it was created||1945|
|People who started it||Céline Vipiana|
|Money earned||€172.2 million (2012)|
Céline is a French luxury fashion house. It was founded in 1945 by Céline Vipiana. Today, it is an international brand owned by LVMH. It was sold to LVMH in July 1988 for 2.7 billion francs (US$540 million).
Céline started as a children's shoe business. It later began selling women's shoes and accessories. It began selling ready-to-wear shoes in the 1960s. Celine Vipiana remained the designer until 1997. American fashion designer Michael Kors then took over as creative director for the brand. Kors turned the fashion house into a highly successful brand. The current creative director of Céline is Phoebe Philo, since October 2008.
Chief designers[change | edit source]
- Céline Vipiana (1945–1997)
- Michael Kors (1997–2004)
- Roberto Menichetti (2004–2005)
- Ivana Omazic (2005–2008)
- Phoebe Philo (2008–present)
References[change | edit source]
- "All about celine vipiana". essortment.com. http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/allcelinefashi_tqwu.htm. Retrieved 10 April 2010.
- New York Times
- Celine at New York Magazine
- Michael Kors Official biography