- A custom (also called a tradition) is any thing which lots of people do, and have done for a long time. Usually, the people come from the same country, culture, time or religion. If something is usually done the same way, you might say that is the "customary way" of doing things.
The meaning of culture is similar to the meaning of custom. A custom is more about practices, while culture is more about ideas or a group of customs. A custom overall is just similar to culture and culture means the way of life of a people.
Custom can also have a second meaning, as in "Custom paint job" on a car. This means paintwork that has been specially changed.
Custom can also mean changed to suit better: altered in order to fit somebody's requirements.
Examples of it are:
- In some countries it is polite/respectful to bow to older people.
- In some countries it is OK to burp while eating your food.
- In some countries you take your shoes off before entering the house
- In some places they sit on the floor and eat