From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Characteristics of a gifted child:
- Gifted kids learn basic skills better and more quickly with less practice
- They are better able to construct and handle abstractions
- Gifted children often read widely, quickly, and intensely and have large vocabularies.
- They take less for granted, seeking the "hows" and "whys."
- Their interests are “wildly electric” and focused
- They usually respond and relate well to parents, teachers, and other adults and may prefer adult company rather than kids their own age
- They like to learn new things, are willing to examine the unusual, and are highly inquisitive.
- Many gifted kids learn to read early, half learn to read before they enter school
- They work independently at earlier age
- Can concentrate for longer periods
- They often have seemingly boundless energy which sometimes leads to a misdiagnosis(medical error) of hyperactivity.
- Like to tackle problems and tasks, and do it in a “well-organized, goal-directed, and efficient manner”.
- Read a deal on their own, and prefer books written for children older than them
- They are often skeptical, critical, and evaluative. They are quick to spot inconsistencies(people being inconsistent).
- They often take great pleasure in intellectual activity
- Gifted children are fluent thinkers, able to generate possibilities, consequences, or related ideas
- Able to use many different alternatives and approaches to problem solving.
- Often perfectionistic
- Concerned with justice, fairness
- Keen observer
- Good at jigsaw puzzles
- Often enjoys learning new things