Hockey East is a group of American colleges and universities who play NCAA Division I hockey against one another every season. The current members are all in New England, with a school in Indiana set to join in 2013. The champions are automatically invited to the NCAA Division I men's and women's hockey tournaments.
In all, 11 schools are members of Hockey East. Seven of these have men's and women's teams that both play in the conference. Three do not have a women's team playing at the NCAA level. One school has its women's team only in Hockey East, with its men's team in another conference.
The current members are listed below. Unless otherwise noted, these schools have both men's and women's teams in the conference.
- Boston College
- Boston University
- University of Connecticut (women only; men play in Atlantic Hockey through the 2013–14 season)
- University of Maine
- University of Massachusetts Amherst (sometimes called "UMass") (men only)
- Merrimack College (men only)
- University of New Hampshire
- Northeastern University
- Providence College
- University of Massachusetts at Lowell (often called "UMass Lowell") (men only)
- University of Vermont
In July 2013, the University of Notre Dame men's team will join Hockey East. Its women's hockey team plays at club level, outside the NCAA. One year later, Connecticut, now a member only for women's hockey, will move its men's team into Hockey East.