||This article needs more sources for reliability.|
|Regions with significant populations|
|Kalash, Persian,[source?] and Urdu|
|Polytheism (ca. 3,000), Islam (ca. 3,000)|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Pashai and Nuristani|
The Kalash (Nuristani: Kasivo) or Kalasha, are an ethnic group of the Hindu Kush mountain range. They live in the Chitral district of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province of Pakistan. They speak the Kalash language, a member of the Dardic family of Indo-Aryan.
There are only about 3,000 Kalash polytheists and 3000 Kalash Muslims. The Kalash people live in three isolated valleys. They claim to have a Greek origin. The Kalash have a polytheist religion, while neighboring peoples are Muslims. If a Kalash person converts to Islam, that person is kicked out from Kalash society. This is the reason why the Kalash religion still exists and this is the only way to make it exist also in the future. The Kalash are also known for their human features. It can vary from someone with light brown skin, brown eyes, and black hair to someone with white skin, blue eyes, and blonde hair.
- Ahmed, A.S., 1986. The Islamization of The Kalash Kafirs. Pakistan Society: Islam, Ethnicity and Leadership In South Asia. page 23-28.
Other websites [change]
General Information [change]
- Picturesque Pakistan Extensive, general Kalash information
- Site Shara Forum for Chitral and the Kalasha
- Kalash: The descendants of Alexander's soldiers
- Reaching out to Alexander’s sons The Kalash, Pakistan’s remaining pagans, find unlikely savior in British senior citizen
- The Kalash: The Lost Tribe of Alexander the Great
- Kalasha People Online A blog used by Kalasha and their New Alphabet to write Kalashamondr (Kalasha language)
- Frontier Language Institute Kalasha dictionary