Lego Mindstorms NXT
Lego Mindstorms NXT is a new robotic kit. It is made to build and program first robot in 30 minutes. The new kit replaces system calledRobotics Invention System. The available versions are: Lego Mindstorms NXT 1.0 (set #8527), Lego Mindstorm NXT 2.0 (set #8547) and Lego Mindstorms Education NXT (set #9797). It comes with the NXT-G programming software. It is possible to use unofficial programming languages, such as NXC, NBC, leJOS NXJ, and RobotC.
The main component in the kit is computer called the NXT Intelligent Brick. It has 32-bit microprocessor, four inputs, three outputs, Bluetooth communications, a speaker, 1 USB 2.0 port, and a 100×64 LCD display. Also, the NXT includes three powerful motors with rotation sensors. Very simple programs can be created in the menu on the NXT Intelligent Brick. More complicated programs can be downloaded via Bluetooth or USB. The graphical programming language NXT-G is simple, but complete enough to be usable.
- The touch sensor reacts to touch and release. It can detect single or multiple button presses, and reports back to the NXT Intelligent Brick.
- The Light Sensor enables robot to decide what is light and what is dark and the light intensity of different colors.
- The Sound Sensor is able to measure noise levels in both dB (decibels) and dBA (frequencies around 3–6 kHz where the human ear is most sensitive)
- The Ultrasonic Sensor is able to detect an object and measure distance in inches or centimeters.
- The Rotation Sensor is built into its motor so position and speed are always available to NXT programs.
In the Lego Mindstorms NXT 2.0 is new Color sensor. It can detects different colors.