Mariano Rivera (born November 29, 1969 in Panama City, Panama) is a baseball player. He has played with the New York Yankees for many seasons. He is a “closer”, a type of pitcher who pitches in the ninth inning. Rivera is thought to be one of the best relief pitchers ever, and will probably be in the Baseball Hall of Fame. Rivera throws very fast “cutter” pitches that are good at striking out batters. Rivera has more saves in the World Series than any other pitcher. He also has more saves all-time then anybody, a record he set in 2011. Mariano Rivera wears #42, and is the only player in Major League baseball to do so. Rivera was born in Panama and played his first baseball there.
References[change | edit source]
- Verducci, Tom (2004-06-01). "Gotta get to Mo". Sports Illustrated. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/tom_verducci/06/01/rivera.yankees/. Retrieved 2010-06-05.
- A save is a baseball stat. It is when a relief pitcher comes into the game with his team losing or leading by three runs or less. If the pitcher is still in when the game is over and his team wins, he gets a save.
Awards Won[change | edit source]
- Rolaids Relief Man of the Year, 1999, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2009
- DHL Delivery Man of the Year, 2005, 2006, 2009
- 2004 American League Championship Series MVP