This was the first collaboration (working together) by Rodgers and Hammerstein but they made several more successful musicals together.
- Oh What a Beautiful Mornin'
- The Surrey With the Fringe On Top
- People Will Say We're in Love
The story is set in Oklahoma Territory outside the town of Claremore in 1906. A cowboy Curly McLain is in love with a farmer girl Laurey Williams. Jud Fry, a farm hand, is also in love with Laurey. The play also includes the story of another cowboy, Will, and his girlfriend, Ado Annie.
The play was made into a film in 1955.
The musical, and actors in the musical, have won many awards:
- 1944: A special Pulitzer Prize award was given to Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II for Oklahoma! in the category of "Special Awards And Citations - Letters"
- 1947 Theatre World Award (Dorothea MacFarland)
- 1955 Academy Award
- Best Music, Scoring of a Musical Picture (for Robert Russell Bennett, Jay Blackton, and Adolph Deutsch)
- Best Sound, Recording (Fred Hynes)
- 1980 Theatre World Award (Harry Groener)
- 1993 Tony Award: Special Tony Award - Oklahoma! (50th Anniversary)
- 1998 Critics' Circle Theatre Award for Best Musical
- 1998 Evening Standard Award for Best Musical
- 1999 Laurence Olivier Award
- Best Performance in a Supporting Role in a Musical - Shuler Hensley
- Outstanding Musical Production - Oklahoma!
- Best Theatre Choreographer - Susan Stroman
- Best Set Designer - Anthony Ward
- 2002 Tony Award - Best Featured Actor in a Musical - Shuler Hensley
- 2002 Theatre World Award - Justin Bohon
- 2002 Drama Desk Award
- Outstanding Featured Actor in a Musical - Justin Bohon, Shuler Hensley
- Outstanding Choreography - Susan Stroman