Piombino is a town and commune in the province of Livorno (Tuscany), Italy, on the border between the Ligurian Sea and the Tyrrhenian Sea, in front of Elba Island and at the northern side of Maremma.
The lighthouse, the Marina
port and the Old Hospital of Piombino
It has an ancient historical centre, derived from the time in which it was the Etruscans' port, near the area of Populonia. In the Middle Ages, it was an important port of Pisa's Republic. Still today Piombino is one of biggest port in Italy, and is one of the most used port for to go in the Elba Island, (with the port of Livorno). Piombino outside the down town has a very big industrial area.
Important places and monuments [change]
- Cathedral of Sant'Antimo (c. 1377), built by the Augustinians and originally dedicated to St. Michael.
- The Rivellino (Walls Tower-Gate), the most ancient monument in the city (1212).
- The Chiesa della Misericordia (early 13th century). Inside this church there is a rare 15th century crucifix.
- The Cassero Pisano a castel, built under Cosimo I de' Medici the castel was used as military jail until 1959.
- The Palazzo Comunale (Town Hall), mostly a modern reconstruction of the ancient Palazzo degli Anziani (1435). In the Musters Hall, with portraits of the Princes of Piombino.
- Chapel of St. Anne, a noteworthy Renaissance work by Guardi.
- The Cisterna di Cittadella (Citadel's Cistern), also by Guardi. On the sides are the portraits of Jacopo III Appiani and his son and wife, later damaged by order of Cesare Borgia.
- Casa delle Bifore (1280).
- The Natural Province Reserve Padule Orti Bottagone, created in 1998.
Piombino has schools, churches, banks, parks and squares. In the locality of Punta Falcone there is an astronomical observatory, built in 1976.
On July 28 2000, the city of Piombino got the Gold Medal of Military Valor for the fight against nazism and fascism, before and during the World War II.
Comuni near Piombino [change]
Twin cities [change]
Population history [change]
|December 31, 2004
Other websites [change]