Puneri Pagadi is a turban, a cloth worn on the head. This turban is worn by people from Pune on special days. Puneri means "belonging to Pune" and pagadi means turban. It is used as a mark of respect in Pune. It is a custom that is about 200 years old.
History[change | edit source]
The pagadi was introduced 200 years ago by Mahadev Govind Ranade, who was a social reformer. It was also later worn by leaders like Lokmanya Tilak, J.S. Karandikar, D.D. Sathye, Tatyasaheb Kelkar and Datto Vaman Potdar. The pagadi became more famous in 1973 after a Marathi play.
In 2009, it was given the status of Geographic Indication (GI) which means that the pagadi will be a property of only Pune. No one else can sell any such turban under the name of Puneri Pagadi outside Pune.Only Brahmins used to use this pagadi in that era.
Use[change | edit source]
The pagadi is used in marriages. It is also used on special events in schools and colleges (commonly on traditional days). It is used by actors while performing gondhal art form. The pagadi is also given as an award sometimes.
Proprietary status[change | edit source]
Shree Puneri Pagadi Sangh is a group of 10 people. They are the ones who applied for getting a GI tag for the pagadi. Actually, Great Mission Group Consultancy submitted the application for them. The aim of this was to protect the identity of the pagadi. They also wanted to protect the Puneri culture. The application was accepted and on 4 September 2009, the pagadi became an intellectual property. Before this, the GI tag was also given to Indian products like Tirupati ladoos, Darjeeling tea, Banarasi saris.
References[change | edit source]
- "Indian association seeks IPR for 'Puneri Pagadi'". Business Standard. 7 April 2009. http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/indian-association-seeks-ipr-for-%5Cpuneri-pagadi%5C/354259/. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Turban legend: Puneri Pagadi may soon get intellectual property tag". Mid-day. 6 April 2009. http://www.mid-day.com/news/2009/apr/060409-Pune-News-property-tag-Puneri-Pagadi-Turban-intellectual-property-rights.htm. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- Shruti Nambiar (2 August 2011). "The Pagadi Unravelled". The Indian Express. pp. 1–2. http://www.indianexpress.com/news/the-pagadi-unravelled/825919/1. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- "Puneri Pagadi gets GI tag; latest to join protected goods club". Zee News. 21 September 2009. http://zeenews.india.com/news/etc/puneri-pagadi-gets-gi-tag-latest-to-join-protected-goods-club_565357.html. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- "Puneri Pagdi obtains geographical indication status". OneIndia News. 3 January 2010. http://news.oneindia.in/2010/01/03/puneripagdi-obtains-geographical-indicationstatus.html. Retrieved 13 June 2012.
- Chandran Iyer (22 September 2009). "Puneri Pagadi gets pride of place". Mid Day. http://www.mid-day.com/news/2009/sep/220909-Puneri-Pagadi-Geographical-Indication-Pune2.htm. Retrieved 13 June 2012.