|Country of origin||Germany|
Behaviour[change | change source]
Dogs are pack animals. When they feel threatened, they will defend themselves. They will also protect other members of the pack to a certain extent. How they defend themselves, and how close they feel to the rest of the pack (their owners) depends on the dog's temperament, and how they were raised. Since dogs judge dangerous situations differently, they should not be left unattended near a place where people are arguing. They may also judge unattended moves of a child as an attack. Therefore dogs should not be left alone near children.
Considerations[change | change source]
When the Rottweilers' owners are not experienced, problems arise. Sometimes humans, mostly children, are attacked by these dogs. The attacks are often a result of irresponsible owners. Rottweilers are very intelligent and need equally smart handlers to raise them.
In some areas, breeding certain dogs has been restricted or forbidden.
References[change | change source]
Further reading[change | change source]
- Blackmore, Joan. A Dog Owners Guide to the Rottweiler
- Brace, Andrew H. (Ed), The Ultimate Rottweiler, Ringpress Books, Surrey, 2003. ISBN 1-86054-263-8
- Coren,Stanley. The Intelligence of Dogs, University of British Columbia, Vancouver. (1994).
- Chardets: Know your Rottweiler
- Fédération Cynologique Internationale-Standard N° 147/ 19. 06. 2000 / GB The Rottweiler. Translated by – Mrs C. Seidler Country of Origin – Germany.
- Kaneene JB, Mostosky UV, Miller R. Update of a retrospective cohort study of changes in hip joint phenotype of dogs evaluated by the OFA in the United States, 1989–2003. Vet Surg 2009;38:398–405, Interscience.wiley.com, abstract
- National Dog – The Ringleader Way, Volume 12 Number 1 & 2, Jan/Feb 2009 Breed Feature "Bernese Mountain Dogs, Leonbergers & Rottweilers".
- Pettengell, Jim. The Rottweiler
- Pienkoss, Adolf. The Rottweiler, 3rd revised and updated edition, Internationale Foederation der Rottweilerfreunde (IFR) Wilhelmitenstr. 15a, 46354 Borken, Germany, 2008
- Price, Les. Rottweilers: an owner's companion. Macmillan Publishing Company, New York 1991. ISBN 0-87605-297-9
- Schanzle, Manfred, Studies In The Breed History Of The Rottweiler. German edition Published by Allgemeiner Deutscher Rottweiller – Klub (ADRK) E.V. 1967 English edition published jointly by Colonial Rottweiler Club & Medallion Rottweiler Club – Sept 1969. 1981 Printing (updated) – Published by Powderhorn Press 3320 Wonderview Plaza, Hollywood, CA90068.
- Yrjola, J.A.U. & Tikka, Elvi. Our Friend the Rottweiler.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Rottweiler|