Social Distortion in 2011. From left to right: Harding, Hidalgo, Ness, and Wickersham.
|Also known as||Social D|
|Origin||Fullerton, California, United States|
|Genres||Punk rock, alternative rock|
|Labels||13th Floor, Posh Boy, Restless, Epic,|
|Associated acts||The Adolescents, Agent Orange, D.I., D.O.A., The Lewd, China White, Shattered Faith|
John "Carrot" Stevenson
Social Distortion has released a total of five studio albums. Their two first albums were not very successful. When Social Distortion signed to Epic Records in 1989, Social Distortion's third album, which is self-titled, became a mainstream success, with the singles "Let It Be Me", "Ball and Chain", "Ring of Fire", "Sick Boys" and "Story of My Life" all bringing the band exposure on the United States charts. It was the band's first album to appear on the top 200 on the Billboard music chart in the United States. Their next album, 1992's Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell, was also successful and spawned the band's biggest hit "Bad Luck", which peaked at number 2 on the Modern Rock Tracks chart, marking the highest initial charting single in Social Distortion's career. White Light, White Heat, White Trash was their fifth and last studio album and was released four years later. The album peaked at #27 on the Billboard 200, which made it the band's highest chart position yet, and featured their only Billboard Hot 100 single "I Was Wrong".
After the release of White Light, White Heat, White Trash, Social Distortion went on an extended hiatus when Ness went solo. Tragedy struck on February 29, 2000 when their longtime guitarist Dennis Danell died from a brain anyuerism at the age of 38. Following his death, Social Distortion considered disbanding.
Members[change | change source]
Final[change | change source]
- Mike Ness – vocals, guitars (1978-2000)
- Dennis Danell – guitars (1978-2000)
- John Maurer - bass (1986-2000)
- Chuck Biscuits - drums (1996-2000)
Past[change | change source]
- Tom Corvin – vocals (1978)
- Rikk Agnew – guitars (1978-1980)
- Frank Agnew – guitars (1978-1980)
- Timothy Maag – guitars (1978-1980)
- Brent Liles – bass (1981-1984)
- Matt Freeman – bass (2004)
- Casey Royer – drums (1978-1980)
- Derek O'Brein – drums (1981-1984)
- Bob Stubbs - drums (1984-1984)
- Chris Reece – drums (1984-1994)
- Randy Carr – drums (1994-1995)
Discography[change | change source]
Their full-length albums include:
- Mommy's Little Monster (1983)
- Prison Bound (1988)
- Social Distortion (1990)
- Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell (1992)
- White Light, White Heat, White Trash (1996)
References[change | change source]
- "Social Distortion at Punknews". Punknews.org. http://www.punknews.org/bands/socialdistortion. Retrieved 2011-07-17.
- "A Brief History of Social Distortion". SocialDistortion.com. Retrieved on February 20, 2007.
- "Social Distortion (import bonus tracks) – Album reviews". ArtistDirect.com. Retrieved on February 24, 2007.
- "Social Distortion Bio" ArtistDirect.com. Retrieved on February 24, 2007.
- "Review: White Light, White Heat, White Trash" PunkNews.org. Retrieved on February 24, 2007.